Considering a Panther

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
John827
First Name: John
Last Name: Andre
State or Province:

Re: Considering a Panther

Post by John827 »

This is pretty exciting, I haven't been drawn to an airplane like this in some time. First, I need to sell a boat and a set of Midget Mustang plans, and then you will be hearing from me. Can't wait to get started.

John

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

The sport wing skins are the same as LSA. The sport wing is a clipped wing, one bay (1 ft) shorter. The fuselage skins on both the LSA and sport are made out of 6061 T6 .032.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John827
State or Province:

Post by John827 »

Dan, Tony,
Thanks for the quick replies. Some more initial questions:
- What is the thickness of the wing and fuselage skins on the Sport model?
- Do you plan on offering an engine mount for an O-200? If so, when?
- Any thoughts to the cowl modifications required to accommodate an O-200 with an Ellison TB?
Tony,
Thanks for the invite. If we get one of those rare winter weekends with the temp over 50 I'll call first and fly down in the bipe.

Thanks
John

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

John827 wrote: Tony, is your project at Stag? If it is, would it be possible to get an invite to fly my Acro down to Stag from Chesapeake to see the project?

Thank You

John
Hi John,

Yep, it's at Stag. Come on down any time! Currently have completed tail feathers and clecoed fuel tanks. Wing factory will be in full swing in a week.

Tony

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

HI John.
The Panther and Midget Mustang are often compared due to similar looks at a glance. They are much different in reality. The "sport" version of Panther has 20 sqft more wing area,which has a large effect on the flight envelope. The MM will cruse faster on given HP but also stall at a higher speed, and doesn't have as tight of a turn radius etc. Panther slow speed performance is excellent and can operate from much shorter etc.Cockpit volume cant be compared . the Panther is HUGE in comparison. The Panther is much easier and quicker to build. If you fit well in a MM and are looking for a high speed cruiser the MM is probably a better choice. If you want a sporty good looking easy to build airplane the flies at "RV" speeds , with a a huge cockpit, with folding wings...... then a Panther may be for you. Feel free to contact us with any questions Dan
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

John827
State or Province:

Considering a Panther

Post by John827 »

I've built a TEAM MiniMax, Acrosport II, RV-8 FWF and have flown over 20 certified and experimental types as an EAA Flight Advisor. I was about to start work on a Midget Mustang when a friend recommended that I check out the Panther. I am certainly impressed with what I see. As a bonus, I see Tony Spicer is aboard. Those of us at EAA 339 have followed Tony's adventures for years starting with his 3300 Sonex.
Tony, is your project at Stag? If it is, would it be possible to get an invite to fly my Acro down to Stag from Chesapeake to see the project?
Do you have any performance projections for an O-200 powered Panther Sport? My overall comparisons will be made against the Midget Mustang. I'd be interested in your pros and cons perspective if you have any to offer.

Thank You

John