Fuel tanks

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Fuel tanks

Post by Tony Spicer »

PlaneDan wrote:Looking at the Picasa referenced in Tony's reply, I have a couple of questions.

You refer to the prints. I have reviewed the prints for the fuel tanks and see no reference to this, I also looked on line at what wing prints I have there and don't see any reference. Was this included in the paper prints that were sent with the wing kit? If so, I apologize for having to ask the question, but I have not seen those prints in months.

I noticed that you are dimpling the skin and the tank back at the same time, together. Is this to insure a perfect fit between the two? I never thought of that and glad you posted the reference to your Picasa.

I see an additional line of holes that you used to rivet the tank to the wing. In that everything is now pre-punched, is that the way it is now done? I don't see any reference to marking and drilling these, in the plans, but I am known to over-look things.

Thank you very much for your reply and if you have time, please send a little clarification on these.
Dan,

Prints and BM for attaching tanks have not yet been published. For my tanks, all mounting holes were located/drilled after the tanks were completed. For tank parts that have already been joined and require dimpling, both parts must be dimpled at the same time. When asking questions about specific Picasa photos, it would be helpful to note the number of the photo. If I missed an answer, please ask again.

Tony

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: Fuel tanks - Saddles

Post by PlaneDan »

I want to add a note to what Rachel posted about these. They are so perfect that you do not need tape to protect the skin, in fact, the tape gets in the way. They and the match drill, turn this whole process from what could be a nightmare, into a pleasant dream. Messing up one of these tank skins, will cost you a bunch more than the very reasonable price of the Saddles. Even if you are experienced, (my RV friends were in awe, at least those who had to build their own tanks) you will definitely get more than your money worth from them.
PantherBuilder.org

PlaneDan

Post by PlaneDan »

Looking at the Picasa referenced in Tony's reply, I have a couple of questions.

You refer to the prints. I have reviewed the prints for the fuel tanks and see no reference to this, I also looked on line at what wing prints I have there and don't see any reference. Was this included in the paper prints that were sent with the wing kit? If so, I apologize for having to ask the question, but I have not seen those prints in months.

I noticed that you are dimpling the skin and the tank back at the same time, together. Is this to insure a perfect fit between the two? I never thought of that and glad you posted the reference to your Picasa.

I see an additional line of holes that you used to rivet the tank to the wing. In that everything is now pre-punched, is that the way it is now done? I don't see any reference to marking and drilling these, in the plans, but I am known to over-look things.

Thank you very much for your reply and if you have time, please send a little clarification on these.
PantherBuilder.org

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

at7000ft wrote:On the subject of fuel tanks, is there any negatives to building the tanks before building the wings?

No - not at all.

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

The saddles are wood fixtures to properly fixture the fuel tanks in while building. We have sets in stock and they are $45 plus shipping. We have a few sets in stock and will add them to the web store tomorrow. If you need them (if you are building your own tanks and don't want to cut them out yourself then you do) send support@flywithspa.com an email, or order online.

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

On the subject of fuel tanks, is there any negatives to building the tanks before building the wings?
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Fuel tank installation on Wing

Post by Tony Spicer »

PlaneDan wrote:I have the fuel tanks drilled and de-burred and assembled with cleco. I set one in place to see how it would fit on the wing and I notice that there seems to be no connection between the main wing skin and the skin of the tank. Does anyone have a photo of how this is done?
https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo ... 7457514546

Tony

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Wow, match drilled, Dan W. is taking all the fun out of building! (just kidding, glad I ended up later on the kit shipment list). What are the saddles you mentioned Dan, wood fixtures the tanks are built in?

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

PlaneDan

Fuel tank installation on Wing

Post by PlaneDan »

I have the fuel tanks drilled and de-burred and assembled with cleco. I set one in place to see how it would fit on the wing and I notice that there seems to be no connection between the main wing skin and the skin of the tank. Does anyone have a photo of how this is done?

BTW, you who are afraid of building the tanks, don't worry. The new ones are match drilled and if you get the saddles from SPA, I don't see how you can go wrong. Yes, everything is not intuitively obvious unless you are someone who has built tanks like this before, but it surely isn't rocket science. I will be posting pics of my build so anyone who is concerned can see how a first time metal airplane builder did it.

But, I sure would like to see some pictures of the final installation.

Thanks for your time, in advance.
PantherBuilder.org

rlweseman
Site Admin
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

LOL! If I can build tanks that don't leak then you guys will have no problems!