Panther tail kit and plans

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
wmensink
First Name: Will
Last Name: Mensink
State or Province:

Re: Panther tail kit and plans

Post by wmensink »

I echo Tony's comments( other than the double knee surgery, Wow..) I finished my tail kit last week and I have been very impressed with the thought put into the plans and parts to make a successful fun build. IMHO it's very easy to stay on track if you can visualize the entire build process of the particular piece BEFORE starting.

The instructions are concise with no fat. Every sentence is there for a reason. Fully understand each instruction step before proceeding to the next step and things move along at a wonderful pace. The pictures on the Panther Website and Tony Spicer"s Picasso album filled in any gaps to give me the complete picture. Those photos seem to be incorporated into the builders manual on a regular basis.

I did get ahead of myself a time or two and had a quick question and I promptly received exceptional support from Dan and Rachel. Seeing the pieces come together makes me want to fly this thing even more!

Will Mensink

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

We will have example plan sheet and builders manual up by the end of the week. Stay tuned!

Wes Ragle
First Name: Wes
Last Name: Ragle
State or Province:

Post by Wes Ragle »

Ok, back on topic.

Tony,

I have to agree with you concerning the quality of the Sonex plans. Having built from the kit rather than plans building, the plans were all I really needed. Once all of the bits were made from angle I just started from the last page of the plans and worked my way to the first page. The first page showed the finished airplane.

Question: Has Dan posted an example page from the plans?

Thanks,

Wes

Wes Ragle
State or Province:

Post by Wes Ragle »

And I thought I was a bad a$$ when I got all my wisdom teeth pulled at the same time ;-)

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Yep. 8/22/13. A pair of these: http://getaroundknee.com/hcp/triathlon Been quite the experience.

Tony

Wes Ragle
State or Province:

Post by Wes Ragle »

New knees?? Did you get them both done at once?

Wes

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Panther tail kit and plans

Post by Tony Spicer »

Thought it was about time for comments on the new tail kit for those that may be wondering. The box arrived about the same time as did my new knees, so it just sat in the garage. Cleared to drive, and the fun started. Everything well packed, with no damage. To date HS and both elevators finished. Another day and the rudder will be finished. Absolutely no issues with anything in the kit. Everything fit as advertised.
Minor adjustments on some of the angles. Decided to go the flush rivet route, so that's added some time. I am truly impressed with the plans. Dan taught himself to use whatever drawing package he's using, and he's kicking butt! I scratch-built a Sonex back in 1998, and always thought Sonex plans were the gold standard in the plans world. What Dan is doing is every bit as good. And Rachel is no slouch in the Builders Manual department. Last I heard she was planning to post some samples online.

Tony