What's in the kit

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: What's in the kit

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

The staff at SPA (that would be Rachel) is pedaling just as fast as she can to keep up with what's currently going on, so I let her know I would attempt to answer your question. For starters, have a look at this:

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/kits/prici ... pletecosts

I think the Panther can be built for something in the same ballpark as a Onex/Sonex. Note what is included/not included with those kits. You'll have to figure out what you want for power and factor that in.

If you have questions about the Sonex matrix, please call my good buddy John Monnett. He will be most happy to assist you.

Tony

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Re: What's in the kit

Post by GlenNJ »

If possible, could SPA please list the costs of all the mandatory parts that a plans builder must buy to build a Panther. It would also be nice to know how much the cowling and the Corvair engine mount will be.
Glen

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

What's in the kit

Post by GlenNJ »

I was hoping SPA would have finalized and shown a total list of what's in the complete Panther kit by now, but this hasn't happened. My original goal was to build a Panther from plans. The prices of the available sub-kits are higher than I anticipated, and it might be more cost effective to buy the kit instead. I still haven't ruled out building a different airplane, but it's hard to compare the Panther to the competition without a complete list of kit components. In my opinion, Sonex Aircraft's Onex is SPA's closest competition (the RV-3 would be closer, except for having solid rivets). If I compare the Onex kit to the Panther kit, the following components I know are included with the Onex, but not the Panther. The cowling, engine mount, spinner, wheels, brakes, tires, tubes and match hole construction. The following parts I know are included with the Onex kit, but I'm not sure about with the Panther. All welded components, pre-swedged cables, blind rivet kit, seat belts and shoulder harnesses, bushing and spring kit and aluminum angle bundle.
I'm hoping SPA can get their Panther component list together before November 1st.
Glen