Florida State Sales Taxes

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
blueisthenewblack
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Leverett
City or Town: Ann Arbor
State or Province: MI

Re: Florida State Sales Taxes

Post by blueisthenewblack »

Hmph, I thought Spruce would collect Florida sales tax at the time of sale.. I'll have to check what was done for the parts I've purchased while living in Michigan.

FHJ69
First Name: Frank
Last Name: Johnson
City or Town: Dickerson
State or Province: MD

Re: Florida State Sales Taxes

Post by FHJ69 »

As not a Florida resident (yet) I find this troubling. I have had a N# registered and on hold for well over 5 years and have not heard anything from the state of Maryland on the taxing of an aircraft. I wonder what the future will bring? :?:

Greg Pixley
First Name: Greg
Last Name: Pixley
City or Town: Niceville
State or Province: Florida

Florida State Sales Taxes

Post by Greg Pixley »

FYI to those building in Florida. I recently got my N number knowing it would trigger the state of Florida to come looking for their share in sales taxes. I submitted my stack of sales receipts and to my surprise, the auditor came back and said I owed interest ($300) on unpaid sales taxes on parts I had purchased over the six years of building. I said WHAT? The explanation was I should have been paying taxes along the way, even if I never completed the airplane, I owed them taxes for all those parts I bought from Spruce. Even if you are building a hot rod or custom motor cycle, they want their $$$. This was not how the charged me on my first plane.