Conical Mount Bushing Choice

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Re: Conical Mount Bushing Choice

Post by rv10builder »

The photo In my first post was one of my bushings and one can see both the Lord p/n and the Van’s p/n as well. Several folks on VAF have reported conflicting information on ACS and other sites referring to them as dynofocal.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

MikeS.
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Smith
City or Town: Tuscaloosa
State or Province: AL

Post by MikeS. »

The J-6230-1 part number shows up on Aircraft Spruce and other sites as a Dynafocal mount.

Chief Aircraft has them: https://www.chiefaircraft.com/catalogse ... q=J-6230-1+

Almost as expensive as a Dynafocal mount.

rv10builder

Post by rv10builder »

Rick,

The Lord conical p/n:

J-6230-1

Hopefully this was visible in the photo in my earlier post. Four sets are needed, so be prepared for a bit of sticker shock.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

rv10builder wrote:After spending several hours installing the new Lord bushings I can say without hesitation this was money well spent. The Panther was quieter, smoother, and things that used to vibrate like the emergency canopy release knob were eerily still. Between the dynamic balancing and the Lord mounts, this is a much different airplane. There are places to be frugal during construction; this is definitely not one of them. Yes Dan - next time I see you, be sure to say: “told ya so!”
Great to hear Brian, which model number did you use? I didn't realize that there are dozens of different model Lord bushings specified for certified aircraft.

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

rv10builder

Post by rv10builder »

After spending several hours installing the new Lord bushings I can say without hesitation this was money well spent. The Panther was quieter, smoother, and things that used to vibrate like the emergency canopy release knob were eerily still. Between the dynamic balancing and the Lord mounts, this is a much different airplane. There are places to be frugal during construction; this is definitely not one of them. Yes Dan - next time I see you, be sure to say: “told ya so!”
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

aerobat
First Name: Bill
Last Name: W
City or Town: Denver
State or Province: North Carolina

Post by aerobat »

Brian and Rick,

Appreciate the information.

Thanks,

Bill #120
Bill
SN 120

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Bill - Dan does recommend conical Mount lycomings for the Panther. Less weight, more firewall to engine space, less expensive mounts, and minimal vibration difference. Info is on the spa website. Will be interesting to hear what Brian finds out about the Lord bushings (don’t have my mount yet) Found a Midtime B2A 320 on Barnstormers for my Panther, good luck.
Rick Holland
N6819Z

rv10builder

Post by rv10builder »

Bill,

I don’t have any details on the O-235’s (I have an O-320) but do know that Dan recommends the conical mounts as they are indeed lighter than their dynofocal counterparts. Furthermore, the older narrow deck engines are a few pounds lighter than the later wide deck engines as well. Every pound you leave on the ground makes a Panther more fun in the air. ;)
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

aerobat
First Name: Bill
Last Name: W
City or Town: Denver
State or Province: North Carolina

Post by aerobat »

Brian,

I'm off topic some, new Panther builder and have not bought an engine yet. Been looking at 0-235 & 0-320 on Barnstormers. Are the engines with conical mounts lighter than dynafocal and better suited for the Panther due to less weight?

Thanks,

Bill #120
Bill
SN 120

rv10builder

Conical Mount Bushing Choice

Post by rv10builder »

Having installed a set of Revmaster $40 bushings on my O-320-B2B equipped Panther Sport, I’m experiencing what I believe to be too much vibration even after dynamically balancing my three blade Catto down to .04 IPS on the DynaVibe. For the record, Dan had expressed his concern that they may be too hard and I wouldn’t like them. Just so happens a fellow pilot and RV3 owner had a spare set of new Lord mounts he was willing to part with at significantly less cost than new. Once I get these installed I will report back my experience. Anyone else care to share their experience?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)