Which throttle cable?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: Which throttle cable?

Post by PlaneDan »

I made a bracket for the throttle and cabin heat cables. The UL350is is FADEC so don't need the other cables. I bolted this bracket to the tabs provided in the Panther steel cage for mounting that bracket. I thought I had a photo on my site, but cannot find it.
PantherBuilder.org

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

Yeah, that's like the one I have in my RV-12. Works pretty well although some folks have experienced some throttle drift during cruise. I haven't had a problem with that. While you're installing it be sure not to pull the throttle control out too far or the roller pins will fall out. At least now there's a video about how to put it back together if that happens, that didn't exist when I pulled mine out too far :D. There's no problem with that after the throttle is installed.

Where are you going to mount it, on the instrument panel? Just fyi, I've got about 32 hrs on mine now and I'm finding the BM positions of the throttle & trim levers to be in a very convenient position. Thumb & pointer finger on the throttle and middle finger on the trim makes adjustments very easy.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

Don't know what is recommended, but I chose to use one from McFarlane. It is Vernier ASSIST with the emphasis on assist. I would NEVER use a push button Vernier for a throttle cable. In case you are interested in exploring this, here is the URL.

https://www.mcfarlaneaviation.com/produ ... -controls/
PantherBuilder.org

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

I just went back through my AS&S orders. I see I that I ordered:
  • 2x A-950 84" (throttle & mixture)
    1x A-950 144" (elevator trim tab)
    1x A-740 120" (carb heat)
    1x A-740 72" (cockpit heat)
I'm sure that most, if not all, of those were too long and had to be trimmed. The length you need depends heavily on how you route the cables. It took quite a bit of experimentation for me to determine my best routing and the difference in prices for shorter ones weren't enough for me to take a chance on buying ones that ended up being too short.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Which throttle cable?

Post by at7000ft »

The BM mentions a ACS # A-740 for the carb heat cable, does anyone know which throttle cable is recommended?

Also the BM mentions a 120 inches long carb heat cable, seems mighty long doesn't it? Since it's only 30 inches from the throttle quadrant to the firewall?

Thanks

RH
Rick Holland
N6819Z