Seat location - Rudder Pedal

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: Seat location - Rudder Pedal

Post by PlaneDan »

Ron,

One thing I just discovered about seat position. I had spent some time in the plane playing pretend pilot to determine the best location for the seat, after I had set the pedals. Now that I am doing real taxiing, I discovered that it was uncomfortable where I had set it, especially when making turns. Thus, I moved it about 1.5" forward. The point is, that no matter how well you plan it out, it may very well change. Now, I have much better control, more comfort, and my legs don't ride on the top of the gear.

Dan H.
PantherBuilder.org

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

I'm 6' tall with a 30" inseam when I buy jeans.

I have the bottom of my seat back in hole 5 from the from the front and the top in the first hole (that would be the one giving the most reclining position). I have the top of the rudder pedals in the 3rd hole from the front in the top row of holes. My rudder cable adjustment is in the middle slot. I have both bottom and back seat cushions.

I have not flown this configuration but it feels pretty good taxiing around.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

Don't forget to check knee clearance under the panel.

I am close to your measurements and if you don't get the numbers you are looking for, I will check mine the next time I am at the airport, which should be next weekend. The rudder pedal angle will depend on the geometry of your legs, feet, and ankles. I think the only way you are going to get this right is to sit in it and work the pedals and brakes. Like you, I wanted to get enough clearance over the gear leg nubs, even though I did a lot of grinding on them. I still think I am going to have to add a little padding to cushion that area.

You are going to have to sit back far enough for you to get good clearance on the stick, so, I would start with that setting and go from there. That bottom position is a little difficult to change after you get your seat installed, but it can be done. Of course the one on the top of the seat back is simple.

I will post some photos.
PantherBuilder.org

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Seat location - Rudder Pedal

Post by RonFranck »

I'm at that point in my build where I need to set the angle of my brake pedals but I'm rather clueless about getting it right the first time with so many things are inter-related.
Let me clarify that a bit......
I stand about 5'10 1/2", with a pant length of 32". I will be using about 1 1/2" of foam in my seats. To have a comfortable position for my butt/legs what have others my size found to be a good starting location for positioning the seat back, both the top and the bottom, counting position holes starting from the forward most hole, working backwards?
With that established, what holes are you hanging your rudder pedals from? What angle have you put in your brake pedals with the rudder pedals hanging straight down?
I'm trying to get good angles on everything,- seat position, degree of recline, clearance for my knees over the tops of the gear legs, comfortable leg and heel position with ample rudder deflection and proper brake pedal angle that provides full braking power without interfering with my foot position while using the rudder pedals. I hope I'm not over-thinking this, I just want to get it right the first time.