Fuel Tank Sealant - Failure mode

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Re: Fuel Tank Sealant - Failure mode

Post by RonFranck »

Kokemiller wrote:Be sure to look at Vans Aircraft store for the best price I've come across.
Thanks, Kelley for the heads up on Van's. I just ordered a fresh batch.
I should drive out to Boone one day to visit your build. (3.5 hrs one way though).

Kokemiller
First Name: Kelley
Last Name: Kokemiller
State or Province:

Post by Kokemiller »

The safe thing to do would be to replace it.

Be sure to look at Vans Aircraft store for the best price I've come across. I ordered some last week and hope to seal mine in the next week or 2.

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

I would toss it and order some more. Building the fuel tanks is the last part of building a Panther that you want to will want to have to repeat.

RH
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

Ron,

Here is my two cents, and that is about what its worth! If you want to be 100 percent sure, just buy some new pro seal, the cost of doing the project over and not to mention the time just isn't worth the risk.

With that being said, I have used out dated pro seal as much as a year later with no issue, but it was on a small, non critical job that I could easily repair if it didn't set right.

I have no personal experience with what it looks like if it doesn't work, but I'm sure you will know. Test batch is a great idea, it should turn a darker grey with no tackyness.

Good luck!
Barry
Panther Sport #95

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Fuel Tank Sealant - Failure mode

Post by RonFranck »

I thought I was going to be sealing up my fuel tanks sooner than later but "sooner" has come and gone and it's now "later."
I ordered 3M Aerospace Sealant AC-350 B-2 (one quart size) from Aircraft Spruce during the Oshkosh Convention to enjoy the free shipping they offer during the show. Once the sealant arrived it went right into the refrigerator to prolong the shelf life.
I am finally in a position where I can resume assembly of my fuel tanks, I don't want a gummy mess on my hands so I thought I should ask those who have been there, done that, what to look for when the sealant is no longer fresh enough.
What is the failure mode of the 3M product once it exceeds shelf life? How would I go about evaluating a test batch? :?: