Building the Tail Components

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: Building the Tail Components

Post by rlweseman »

Remember - you don't want to debur the undersized holes until after you updrill to 1/8". ;)

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

I made some comparisons today between the tail kit rivets and the pre-drilled holes in the tail kit parts.
All the supplied rivets are 1/8". The majority of internal components are drilled to 1/8" while the skins are all drilled undersized. Looks like I'll be deburring more holes tonight, moving forward! ;)

Ron

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Very nice workshop! I love the photo of all of the Panther tail components on the pristine bench. Keep up the great photos!

RonFranck

Post by RonFranck »

A few minutes with some 220 and 1200 grit sandpaper nicely removed the scratch.
#5.jpg
I pulled this bit from my Dremel Moto-Tool collection and chucked it into a battery powered drill motor.
With it's 12 flutes it works quite well at deburring the punched holes. A few twists of the bit at slow speed
nicely does the trick.
#3.jpg
Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RonFranck

Post by RonFranck »

After clearing off the old workbench I thought it needed a new coat of paint.
#1.jpg
Some of the tail components laid out on the workbench so that I can deburr their edges.
#2.jpg
I discovered a small scratch while unpacking. It was deep enough to catch your fingernail as it was dragged across.
#4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I_FLY_LOW
First Name: Philip
Last Name: Gill
State or Province:

Post by I_FLY_LOW »

Thanks for that video!

RonFranck

Post by RonFranck »

Thanks for the information, Tony. (I sure wish we were neighbors!!) The nice things about our chapter is the tool library that members have access to. I was able to borrow the Jeppesen sheet metal book about a month ago and have been reading that. I have the pencil deburrer in my personal tool collection and the offset deburring tools, assorted clecos and C-frame are all available through our lending library. I have a friend with a metal lathe who volunteered to make the adapter for the hydraulic jack so I should have my spar rivet squeezer completed soon.

I found this video on youtube that newbies might find informative:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGyYZZyukH4

Ron

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Ron,

All holes are undersize. No need to deburr until they're all updrilled. The first thing to deburr should be every edge on every part. Edges are sharp and will slice you like a razor! I use a tool like this:

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,5992.html

You should should be able to find something similiar locally. For hole deburring, this is the ticket:

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/4,4381.html
http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=1046-1

Drill bit works fine until you wear your fingers out.

You bought this yet? http://www.averytools.com/prodinfo.asp?number=12633

Tony

RonFranck

Building the Tail Components

Post by RonFranck »

While I'm waiting for the remainder of the tail kit to arrive I've decided to do some housekeeping in the shop and perhaps spend some time deburring the parts I currently have. That immediately leads to a few questions as I too am new to sheetmetal construction. I'm sure once I have plans/instructions in hand a lot of questions will be addressed but for now I must ask:

1.)
Are the factory drilled/punched holes all undersized in the tail kit?

2.)
Should I deburr all the holes in preparation for up-drilling or is that done at a later stage?

3.)
Is it alright to use an oversized drill bit and simply twist it in one's fingertips to deburr?
A battery powered drill motor might be faster but I feel I have a bit more control using my fingers.

I do not wish to overdo this deburring thing by removing too much metal but the bottom of the holes have a definite burr that needs some dressing to insure a tight fit. As I mentioned earlier, I'm a noob, so any advice is very much appreciated. Also, I'll check out those resources mentioned elsewhere. Thanks!

Ron