Building the Tail Components

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: Building the Tail Components

Post by rlweseman »

RonFranck wrote:Well Stephen, I did appreciate your inventiveness. Kinda puts mine to shame but I'll share mine in the hope it's found useful. ;)

After reading the builders manual and seeing more than once to use a drill stop to prevent break-through damage opposite the bit I dutifully pulled out and installed a drill stop on my 3/32 bit. After drilling a few holes and allowing the drill stop to bump the skin I saw a small "smiley" swirl around the hole. I didn't much like that so I started thinking what might work differently. What I came up with is pretty low tech and simple. Make from a small piece of dowel. Chamfer the working end and if it does make a small swirl it will be hidden under the rivet head. :P
drillstop.jpg
Very nice idea!

swpedano
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Pedano
State or Province:

Post by swpedano »

Thanks Ron here is just another pix of this tool in action
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

Well Stephen, I did appreciate your inventiveness. Kinda puts mine to shame but I'll share mine in the hope it's found useful. ;)

After reading the builders manual and seeing more than once to use a drill stop to prevent break-through damage opposite the bit I dutifully pulled out and installed a drill stop on my 3/32 bit. After drilling a few holes and allowing the drill stop to bump the skin I saw a small "smiley" swirl around the hole. I didn't much like that so I started thinking what might work differently. What I came up with is pretty low tech and simple. Make from a small piece of dowel. Chamfer the working end and if it does make a small swirl it will be hidden under the rivet head. :P
drillstop.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony,
I really enjoy your pictures and I hope you don't pull them off. I'm looking forward to your fuselage pictures (It's been a while since you posted new pictures, so I guess you're waiting for parts).
Glen

swpedano
State or Province:

Post by swpedano »

Thanks Tony and please don't take down your pix. I also put the elevator to geather before the builders manual.

wmensink
First Name: Will
Last Name: Mensink
State or Province:

Post by wmensink »

Tony,

I have found your Picasa Gallery very helpful and personally hope you leave it all there for current and future builders. I only saw the Panther at Airventure for two brief visits. It is very beneficial to see the different components and get the "big picture" of the build progression and general reference of Dan's design details.

Perhaps a prominent disclaimer stating that the Builders Manual and plans take preference over your beta build pictures? Thanks again for posting them and being a beta builder!

Will

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Stephen,

It will work fine with everything dimpled, so press on. There was no builders manual when I did mine, so you'll most likely find more things not in agreement with the manual. It's for that very reason I've been thinking about pulling the Picasa albums.

Tony

swpedano
State or Province:

Post by swpedano »

I seen that after I dimpled mine I was going off of Tony's pix. just another reminder if you see it in someone's pix it may not be the right way.

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Builders manual specifically states to dimple skin and counter sink the hinge. Do not dimple the spar. Please read the manual page 22, step 28.

swpedano
State or Province:

Post by swpedano »

some more pix