Final attachment of firewall?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
bluesflyer
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Ward
City or Town: Kennesaw
State or Province: Georgia

Re: Final attachment of firewall?

Post by bluesflyer »

Thanks Paul! I’m not doing the removable wing configuration. With the fixed wing setup, is there any other reason to wait to rivet the firewall?

Also, thanks for the heads-up about having the side panels at least clecoed prior to mounting the engine.

Keith

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: Final attached of firewall?

Post by psalter »

Forgot, if you leave an engine hung on the fuselage, it is recommended to have the side skins in place, or at least clecoed well, or some hoist to support the engine as you could theoretically bend the frame slightly. The skin is a structural member. And a lot of the work in the fuselage is easier with the skins off. We usually recommend people put the skins on permanently as late as possible. In fact mine weren't installed until a couple weeks before painting.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: Final attached of firewall?

Post by psalter »

The reason it was recommended to fit the wing first, is it is easier to sight through the wing pin holes to see how to adjust them, in particular if you are making them folding. That requires more fine tuning of the wing spar guides. It can be done without sighting, but it is harder. You can remove the wings after the spar guides are set and rear spar pin holes are drilled and continue on.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

bluesflyer
First Name: Keith
Last Name: Ward
City or Town: Kennesaw
State or Province: Georgia

Final attachment of firewall?

Post by bluesflyer »

I read in the plans that the firewall should not be riveted until the wings are fitted. Is it critical to wait to rivet the firewall on? I’ve installed the elevator pushrod and needed to feed it through the forward frame. I’d like to install the engine and do all the firewall forward stuff before building the wings. Is this a viable sequencing option?

Thanks! Keith
Last edited by bluesflyer on Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.