Mixture/carb heat controls

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Re: Mixture/carb heat controls

Post by rv10builder »

My setup is just like Jimmy described (carb heat mounted on a SPA provided bracket ahead of quandrant). Two exceptions I will note is that I purchased a carb heat exhaust sleeve from Vetterman that connects to the FAB carb heat intake via SCAT tubing and I did not have to trim the FAB shorter to clear the cowling.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

jamesmil
First Name: jimmy
Last Name: miller
City or Town: wilmington
State or Province: nc

Re: Mixture/carb heat controls

Post by jamesmil »

I used the control and carb heat as shown in the manual and have found it to work great. When doing my run and need to clean up a plug by running the RPM up and leaning the mixture it’s a one hand operation. As for the carb heat I used Vans carb, air box with their carb heat kit but just let it pull in warm air from inside the cowl. I’m sure this will start a whole new discussion about carb heat but it works for me. Also you will need to cut the bottom fiberglass part of the air box shallower about an inch so that it doesn’t hit the bottom of the cowl. K&N has a filter that is the same diameter but shorter that works well.
Bob Woolley gave me that info along with a lot more as I was building. He was a great person and is sorely missed.

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Mixture/carb heat controls

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Hello everyone,

I am taking an impromptu survey, and requesting input from those of you with a Lycoming power plant.

I am installing an 0-320. I purchased the throttle quadrant that was suggested in the builders manual. My impression of the manual was that the black knob was the throttle and the red knob the mixture. Carb heat was operated by a separate control cable.

I have been taking tailwheel lessons in a Citabria. In that particular aircraft the throttle is positioned on the sidewall, and the carb heat is just below that, on the same mount. The reasoning being, positioned that way if you turn on the carb heat in the pattern for a landing, if you need to go around you can push the carb heat off and the throttle forward with one hand In the same movement. Makes sense. The mixture is a separate cable mounted on the panel.

I am wondering how others have set up the carb heat and mixture controls on their Lycoming (or other) powerplants.

Did you put carb heat and throttle on the quadrant or did you put mixture and throttle on the quadrant?

Thanks,
Fred