First Post: How hard to fly for newbie?

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
jfcpanther
First Name: John
Last Name: Clisham
City or Town: Liberty Township
State or Province: OH

Re: First Post: How hard to fly for newbie?

Post by jfcpanther »

Thanks everyone! Getting some RV time will be easy, I'm surrounded by em at my home airport. Remaining decision is buy or build....or wait for the mystical Cougar!

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

John,

Gets some time in a RV4 or 6 or 7, then build that Panther and enjoy the whole process. That trigear Panther on Barnstormers is also a killer deal if you just want to buy and fly. Great company and a great airplane.

Barry
Panther Sport #95

blueisthenewblack
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Leverett
City or Town: Ann Arbor
State or Province: MI

Post by blueisthenewblack »

jfcpanther wrote:How have you found the build so far? Are you a first time builder?
Yes, I'm a first time builder. The build has gone well. The biggest problem for me has been finding time to work on it. I tend to be more detail obsessed than most. I spent about 140 hours on the spars, but I think 100 hours is more typical. Just depends on your style. You can shorten the build time by getting pre-built spars, pre-built fuel tanks, and not using flush rivets (the time it takes to dimple adds up!). For the Panther or any other homebuilt, you really have to want to build, even love the build through the frustrating times, which happens on occasion, just like any challenge or project.

rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Post by rv10builder »

I have logged approximately 500 hours with much of that in the RV-10 I built. That being said, I had only 10 hours between an RV-6 and Citabria when I made my first solo tailwheel flight...in the Panther I built! The RV-6 I was training in had 180HP and a relatively small VS/rudder making me feel like I was constantly behind the airplane on takeoff and landing. Contrast that with 160HP in Panther s/n 87 which just feels like a much more forgiving airplane to fly. BTW, I started on turf and worked my way up to asphalt, and still in amazement that I was making beautiful landings after only a few hours in it. Don't shy away from the conventional gear version, especially since working to master that challenge alone I find to be a very fulfilling aspect of flying this new airplane.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

jfcpanther

Post by jfcpanther »

Thanks for the reply Stephen! And great advice. I had almost given up on getting a reply. As mentioned I'm leaning Tri-Gear. There's the first Tri-Gear Panther for sale now on Barnstormers. I'm definitely interested and just wanting to close on my airplane to free up the capital. That should happen Friday (finally).

Biggest decision will be to pursue that one vs. build my own. I'm also torn on whether to see if the Cougar gets announced at Oshkosh should I decide to build. But, like you, I'm flying solo 99% of time. I like the Panther for the same reason as you (safety, flexibility, design, etc.).

How have you found the build so far? Are you a first time builder?

Thanks
John

blueisthenewblack
First Name: Stephen
Last Name: Leverett
City or Town: Ann Arbor
State or Province: MI

Post by blueisthenewblack »

Welcome, John!

I have a similar background. Most of my time is in Cessna 150s and Cessna 172s. I worked on getting my tailwheel endorsement a couple years ago in a SportCub, but didn't finish after someone unfortunately flipped it at the airport (fortunately, and more importantly, no one was hurt).

The Panther is higher performance than a Cessna and requires transition training if you don't have experience in higher performing planes. I've taken some flights in higher performance planes such as a Cessna 182 and an Vans RV 14. Things obviously just happen a lot faster and you've got to be ready for it. When it comes time to fly the Panther, I will first get transition training in a similar sport plane like a RV 7. There are folks out there who offer such training. Proficiency is the #1 safety factor for pilots.

I'm also pretty certain I will go the tri-gear route for my Panther. I wanted to get the tailwheel endorsement for experience and to help determine tri-gear vs tailwheel, and yeah, it is different and requires more training and proficiency. Things get a lot hairier in a crosswind compared to a tri-gear. You'll hear ego filled folks say things like,"Real men fly tail draggers," but again, safety and proficiency are critical. I'm a perpetual low-time pilot who just does this for fun. If I know it will be harder for me to stay proficient in a tail dragger, then why take the risk?

I also went for a single seater because I spend most of the time in the air by myself. If I really want to take others, I can go rent a bigger plane and be on our way. I figured no need to spend more time and money building a bigger plane with a bigger engine when I'm usually by myself. The Panther also checked a bunch of other boxes for me.. flexibility in engine choice, chromoly steel tube fuselage for safety, modern design, plans, and build manual, pulled rivets...

jfcpanther

First Post: How hard to fly for newbie?

Post by jfcpanther »

Hi everyone!

I'm considering a Panther. I currently own a Cessna 152 (about 50 hours in it) and have about 45 hours in 150s as well. About 30 in a Sundowner, 2 in a Cub, and 2 in a Pitts (I did not do landings). So, about 135 hours or so. 50 of which last year in my 152.

Anyway, I've noticed fly alone pretty much at all times. I also like to take the occasional 200nm X-Country. While adequate, I'd like a bit more speed and fun.

So, my question is this: How difficult would it be to transition to a Panther? I'm actually thinking Tri-Gear to minimize that issue. I also wouldn't do aerobatics until being thoroughly trained. I have a CFI buddy who owns a Pitts and I have Red Stewart airfield nearby. Net, I can put that time in.

So - I'm curious how difficult it would be to fly safely as a newbie? I recognize it's difficult to judge without every having flown with me.

Thanks
John