Wing Spar templates

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Re: Wing Spar templates

Post by danweseman »

A quick correction. The spar "stiffener plates" (qty3 .025 and qty 1 .063) are CNC machined and reamed for the included steel wing pin bushings. These "stiffener plates" and the welded parts must be bought everything else including landing gear legs ,fiberglass parts, all sheet metal etc. can be built from plans. These plates can be purchased with out buying the entire spar kit. We will post prices on site. the spar caps are 1.5x1.5x.125 6061-t6 and the outer web is 0.032 . these can be built from the plans. The "spar kit" listed on site is fully machined and ready to ream rivet holes, counter sink a few ,debur,and rivet.
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Spars will not have templates, they are precision machined by the CNC router. These will be available for purchase for $2000 for the whole spar kit, including caps, for plans builders.

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Darron,

Patterns that you can cut out and glue on are useful for items that don't require a great deal of accuracy. Here's an example:

That's a part that rivets to the inboard end of the fuel tank. Even better than cut and paste would be to have a PDF of the part. Print it out full size on card stock, cut it out, and trace the part. Center punch holes and make the part.

Don't count on building any spar parts from patterns. Last I heard was precut spars would be a requirement. But that could certainly change.

Tony

DarronS
First Name: Darron
Last Name: S
State or Province:

Post by DarronS »

Just so I understand, does the plans come with templates/patterns than can be glued to the aluminum and then cut/drilled to the proper size? It is my understanding that you can do that with some of the parts but I am asking if the spars have the same templates/patterns so I can simply lightly spray glue the templates/patterns to the aluminum and cut the spars.

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Actually, I forgot that there was a photo of a print in the album. It showed the spar stackup and called out fasteners. Prints are not patterns or templates.

Tony

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

Tony Spicer wrote:Darron,

Those are spar parts in the photos, not spar templates.

Tony
I think Tony meant to say "prints" rather than "parts".

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Darron,

Those are spar parts in the photos, not spar templates.

Tony

DarronS
First Name: Darron
Last Name: S
State or Province:

Wing Spar templates

Post by DarronS »

I was reading on the FAQ's this:

Q: Will the Panther Plans have templates?

A: The plans will have to scale templates that can be cut out and simply spray glued to the aluminum sheet or angle, then cut and drilled, and edges polished with a belt sander or manual file. Panther plans will include sacrificial sheets in addition to the original plans, so the plans remain intact. Templates will include parts for things like gussets, brackets, ribs and bulkheads. These plans will not include templates for larger items like skins or spars.

When I looked at Tony Spicer's build he clearly had some sort of spar templates. Are those now going to be included with the plans?

https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo ... 1857285490

https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo ... 9891209314