When to attach fuel tanks?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Re: When to attach fuel tanks?

Post by Barry »

GlenNJ wrote:Barry,
To solve your fuel cap leak during fuel tank pressure testing, you mention using a fuel lube on the o-ring. Did you use a fuel tolerant thread seal, or did you have something else in mind?

Glen

Glen,

I tightened the nut on the underside of the fuel cap and also filed a slight radius where the cap turns into the fuel tank plate. Then I used a pair of pliers to lock the cap down. This was all done with the addition of a product called "Fuel Lube" which I pasted onto the o-ring. It took a lot of monkeying around, but I finally got a good seal and was able to test my tanks.

Hope this helps,
Barry
Panther Sport #95

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

If you are using the SPRL caps from Sport Perfomance Aviation, you can tighten the nut on the bottom of the cap slightly to increase the sealing pressure. Which makes it seal better. Dont tighten too much, as it makes it hard to open and close.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Barry,
To solve your fuel cap leak during fuel tank pressure testing, you mention using a fuel lube on the o-ring. Did you use a fuel tolerant thread seal, or did you have something else in mind?

Glen

Barry

Post by Barry »

This from Dan on when to install the fuel tanks:

"Barry
It is much easier rig the wings without the tanks installed. We certainly recommend fitting them with wings in the fixture. Also the tanks are susceptible to damage when handling wings etc. In the end it's up to you
Dan"

So after this advice, I plan on fitting the tanks, then removing, then final mounting and riveting after the rigging has been done.

On another note, while pressure testing my tanks my fuel caps leaked at the O-rings even after tightening the nut on the cap. The fix is to put fuel lube on o-ring for pressure testing. Hope this information can help someone else.

Barry
Panther Sport #95

rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Post by rv10builder »

I believe Dan recommended that because if you do find some twist in the wing during rigging, not having the fuel tanks attached affords the ability to correct it. Once they are attached the wing obviously becomes more rigid.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

Jinkers
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Flugum
City or Town: Fort Collins
State or Province: CO

Post by Jinkers »

Good question! I am about to that point myself.

Barry

When to attach fuel tanks?

Post by Barry »

Hello everyone,

I have a question for those of you further along than me. It says in the BM that it is best to attach the fuel tanks after the rigging has been done? I current have my wings done in the jigs and fuel cells in testing. I would like to attach the fuel cells before removing the wings from the jigs, but am I going to cause more work for myself or issues if I mount them now?

Thanks all,
Barry
Panther Sport #95