Spar rivets-fractured shop heads.

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Brad
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Carter
City or Town: Shawnee
State or Province: Ks

Re: Spar rivets-fractured shop heads.

Post by Brad »

Ron, yes that is what a few of my rivets looked like, some were worse. Fortunately they were on the “thin” part of the spar so I was able to successfully drill them out and replace them. Don’t try to drill out rivets on the “thicker” sections, it doesn’t work. There is actually a Mil spec guide on rivets that includes fractured rivets. Brad

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

Brad,
After reading your post it prompted me to re-examine the rivets on my spar. I noticed some very minor cracks on only a few rivets but nothing I felt that was of concern. I have heard of age hardening with rivets but I have no idea how old a rivet can be before it's unusable or exactly what conditions such a rivet would exhibit that would indicate a problem.
I've attached a close-up image of a rivet in my spar that has a very small crack on it's edge.
I hope this helps.
IMG_1393-002.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

Brad,

If you are using the factory squeezer from Panther, be sure that the shop head is perfectly centered in the squeezer before squeezing. I had the same issue on a few and that was my problem. Don’t stress over it, they won’t fall out!

Barry
Panther Sport #95

Brad
First Name: Brad
Last Name: Carter
City or Town: Shawnee
State or Province: Ks

Spar rivets-fractured shop heads.

Post by Brad »

Spar riveting is mostly going well...however. I am noticing a few fractured shop heads, the rivet shop heads have a rough surface and there are visible cracks and splitting after setting. I am using the same squeezing technique for all the rivets, most turn out fine. Any thoughts on this, bad rivets, bad technique, bad luck? Brad Carter