3M 5200

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: 3M 5200

Post by PlaneDan »

I used the 5200 black and secured it in place with clecos, many clecos. I cleaned it up with rubbing alcohol, being careful to not get any of the alcohol in the area being bonded. When it was cured, I removed the clecos and filled the holes, many holes, with a flox resin mixture, like a bunch of little rivets.
PantherBuilder.org

muehlberg
First Name: S. Eric
Last Name: Muehlberg
City or Town: Newcastle (OKC)
State or Province: Oklahoma

Post by muehlberg »

That Sir is exactly why I installed the flush machine screw with finish washers & nylock nuts. Cutting and installing the canopy on my Panther is not something I want to do over. I had a friend who lost a canopy on his RV-4 back in the late 1990s. Beat up his face pretty bad and almost took out the vertical fin & rudder but he made down alive. I've been to 185 mph in my Panther and it hasn't moved yet and I doubt it will. Do you really just want to trust the adhesive grip on the plexiglass & fiberglass only? I guess that's why we call it experimental aviation.

Eric Muehlberg
N11PX
Panther LS , SN 11

Jinkers
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Flugum
City or Town: Fort Collins
State or Province: CO

Post by Jinkers »

This discussion reminds me of something that happened to my Father's boss in the 70's. He was flying his homebuilt (don't remember what type) to Oshkosh and his canopy blew off somewhere over Iowa. He continued to Oshkosh and also flew back home with no canopy.

ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Post by ykachuro »

I think the BM strongly suggests using screws as well. I do not believe RVers ordinarily use 5200 for binding canopies.
Also, remember to keep alcohol away from 5200 as alcohol interferes with the 5200 curing.

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

And while on the subject of canopies, how many of you guys that finished it added screws vs. just the adhesive? Several people I have talked to (including some RV builders) say the adhesive is all thats needed.

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Thanks guys!

Fred

muehlberg
First Name: S. Eric
Last Name: Muehlberg
City or Town: Newcastle (OKC)
State or Province: Oklahoma

Post by muehlberg »

Yes, one tube was more than enough. I used the black, taped off everywhere I didn't want the sealant to go. Came out really nice. I also used the #6 flush machine screws and finish washer like Dan's prototype. Don't get in a hurry is my best advice and have an extra set of hands around when you actually bond it to the frame. Best of luck!

Eric Muehlberg
N11PX
Panther LS , SN 11

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

One tube with a lot left over worked for me. I would send you a link to my web page for it, but they have decided that one piece of technology that it depends on, is no longer in favor.
PantherBuilder.org

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

3M 5200

Post by fwellman@att.net »

I am beginning work on my canopy. I have no idea how much 3M 5200 adhesive I should purchase. ($15 per tube) Can anyone give me a ballpark amount?

Thanks
Fred