Fasteners for the Cowling and Top Deck

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Re: Fasteners for the Cowling and Top Deck

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Hello. Are those of you who installed the Skybolts using the RV system of installation as outlined on the Skyvolt website?

Thanks

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Post by fwellman@att.net »

This might be a stupid question but... when attaching the Skybolt receptacles to the fiberglass cowling do you use some sort of aluminum backing plate? Does anyone have a photo of the receptacle installation on the fiberglass?

Thanks,
Fred

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

I used 32 skybolts for the upper cowling. Lower cowling i used flat head #8 stainless screws with stainless finishing washers, to keep a consistent look.

Cant count my top deck screws, wings folded, and cant open canopy at the moment.

Picture below shows top deck skybolts, upper cowling skybolts, and lower cowling screws on the right side where the 3 surfaces come together.
15509684413831523874755.jpg
Picture rotated 90 degrees when pasted in. Silver shuld be on the bottom.
Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Fastners for the Cowling and Top Deck

Post by at7000ft »

psalter wrote:I have the smaller stainless Skybolts similar to camlocs for the top deck, and the larger Skybolts from the RV cowling kit on mine.

I went with Skybolt because they were stainless, and it allows quick access to those compartments as long as you have a Phillips screwdriver. For me that was important because I am taking them on and off for shows alot, and I don't always have a screw gun with me.

I used Skybolts only on the upper cowl, the lower cowl uses screws.

Paul
Did you use #8 screws and timmerman washers on your lower cowl?

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Post by ykachuro »

If going with quarter turn fasteners, am I counting correctly?

— 31 pcs for the top deck
— 42 pcs for the top and bottom cowling (14 lower and 28 upper)

Total is 73 pcs

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

2018-05-08_Cowling_03.jpg
I used a combination of anchor nuts with screws and hinge pins for both the cowl and boot cowl.
2018-05-05_Cowling_29.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PlaneDan on Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PantherBuilder.org

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Barry, thank you! Would you remind me of you build website please?

Paul, thank you for the comprehensive selection guide! It might be worth posting it to the BM. One good point you mention is that the edge clearance for some larger fasteners might be an issue in some places (upper firewall).

I just finished fitting the top deck and will be away from the build for a couple of months — good time to think about all the misc things, like fasteners, hoses, electrical system, etc.

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

I have the smaller stainless Skybolts similar to camlocs for the top deck, and the larger Skybolts from the RV cowling kit on mine.

I went with Skybolt because they were stainless, and it allows quick access to those compartments as long as you have a Phillips screwdriver. For me that was important because I am taking them on and off for shows alot, and I don't always have a screw gun with me.

I used Skybolts only on the upper cowl, the lower cowl uses screws.

Below are some pros and cons of each

Skybolt pros-
1. Quick access, many batteries are mounted in those areas, so it is easy to get to for charging. The top deck is also a good spot for some heavier baggage items that are small like tools etc.
2. Everything is stainless, if it is in the weather alot, that helps to minimize corrosion. Cad plated can start to corrode if left in the rain much. When I got mine stainless camlocs were not very easy to obtain.

Cons
1. price
2. Pain to install properly on 1/4 turn fasteners, shank length or nut plate height is critical, and you have to get a variety of hardware lengths and keep track of them and where they go if the retainers come off.
3. The larger ones I used on the cowling are a bit to large for the flanges on the firewall. Smaller ones can be used for the cowling also.
4. The fasteners towards the front of the cowling will probably have to be loose and not retained to get the cowling on and off. I have 4 of them like that.
5. Variety of retainers depending on type of fastener, and thickness of material it is in. Can be confusing.

Screws pros -
1. Cheap
2. With screw gun, fairly quick to get out.
3. Length isn't as important, as long as they make it through the nut plate.

Cons
1. Takes longer to remove without the use of a screw gun.
2. Fasteners are all loose, so easy to loose them in the grass or in hanger when removing cowling.
3. Screw heads tend to strip out easily with a screw gun, so keep a supply of spares handy.
4. In some places escpecially close to baffling around engine, screw lengths can be important, you may have to be sure to put the right screw in the right hole.
5. Easier to strip the threads in nutplate when using a screw gun.

Note: Skybolt has receptacles that are adjustable in height that makes them easier to install but costs more.

On either variety, over time and repeated use, the fasteners can start to work loose. So don't think that once you install one it is going to last forever.

In the end, there isn't a perfect solution. If there was, we wouldn't be having this discussion. It all comes down to how much time you want to spend on it and money you want to put out.

Paul
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

Yuri,

Check these out:

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ey=5634306

Fairly cheap. I put a picture on my build site for you too.

Barry
Panther Sport #95

ykachuro

Fasteners for the Cowling and Top Deck

Post by ykachuro »

I understand people have used nutplates, camlocks, Skybolts and a mix thereof for attaching the top deck and the cowling. Skybolts and brand name camlocks cost a pretty penny ($400-500 worth of pennies). Are they worth it? I see Skybolt and Milspec have packages for various RV models. Does it make sense to buy a package for an RV4, for example? I see that various “dzus” quarter turn fasteners that are more sensibly priced. Are those an acceptable option?
Last edited by ykachuro on Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.