Out of round holes in main spar

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Ryanfscs
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fiscus
City or Town: Burleson
State or Province: Tx

Re: Out of round holes in main spar

Post by Ryanfscs »

Thanks for the info Paul!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: Out of round holes in main spar

Post by psalter »

You will need to measure the holes to determine what iversize bolt you need. There are 1/64" and 1/32" oversize fasteners available, called hi-loks. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=522&p=2717&hilit=Nas6603#p2727.
I am away from my data resources to give the number of the hi-loks.

If you can determine the size you need, then ream the hole to that size and verify the hole is round.

If it requires more than 1/32" oversize, recommend you place a trouble call with SPA. There are usually options to repai most problems like this.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

Ryanfscs
First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Fiscus
City or Town: Burleson
State or Province: Tx

Out of round holes in main spar

Post by Ryanfscs »

Seeking advice if corrective action needs to be taken, when drilling my main spar specifically the holes that are for the close tolerance bolts....apparently my drill bit which I was keeping lubricated with boelube Had galling issues. Before I ran the actual 3/16 reamer through the holes I notice a little dark channel about 3/4 of the way down into the holes. Fast forward to when I disassembled to deburr, some of the holes are out of round slightly. This only happened on the thicker part of the spar (inboard section) and not in any of the holes where rivits were called for (different drill bit).

Do I need to reassemble and ream for a bigger bolt? Is it all scrap now? Or will it simply be okay?