Mounting Horizontal Stabilizer - trimming HT skins

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Re: Mounting Horizontal Stabilizer - trimming HT skins

Post by ykachuro »

Slight correction — I needed to trim the bottom HS skin ever so slightly to give space for the bolt heads attachung the rear mounting brackets.

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

I am starting to fit the tail to the fuselage. The horizontal stabilizer skins are pre-trimmed (kit #92) and no additional trimming is needed so far. I’ve trimmed the rear mounting brackets to 3 3/8 (incidence -.25) — i will live with whatever neutral trim speed it gives me in the end.

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Rick,
I used metal sheers and a file. I have one of the older kits that requires the mod. I also had to trim the forward leading edge a little to clear the fuselage sides, and around the rear HS mounting brackets. I am mounting my horizontal stabilizer with the recommended 0 degrees angle of incidence. The rear of the HS sits a little lower, and this caused my HS bottom skin to sit on the forward parts of the rear mounting brackets. I carefully trimmed the bottom skin around the brackets, taking off as little material as possible.
Glen
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Post by Barry »

Rick, I am also thinking later kits require no trimming. I didn't trim mine anyway. Have fun at S&F.
Panther Sport #95

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Rick, are you sure you need to trim it? I am a few days away from this step, but I thought that later kits came with the skin already trimmed in that place so that no additional trimming is needed. I could be wrong though.

Not sure if I make it to SnF, but still hoping

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Mounting Horizontal Stabilizer - trimming HT skins

Post by at7000ft »

Guys - concerning the first manual step in 'Mounting Horizontal and Vertical Stabilizers' discusses trimming the front inner HT skins (shown on plans P-T-HT, VT install prep), what kind of tool works best for this? A dremel with some kind of cutting wheel?

Thanks
Rick H

p.s. looking forward to seeing everyone this Friday night at the snf Panther party.
Rick Holland
N6819Z