cutting filtering ends of horizontal spars

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
MyronNCallaham
First Name: Myron
Last Name: Callaham
City or Town: Bowling Green
State or Province: Kentucky

Re: cutting filtering ends of horizontal spars

Post by MyronNCallaham »

Great feedback, guys. Kevin, I think I will do your method with stainless and dremel. May not be necessary but I like the idea of having it jigged while riveting. I need all the help I can get keeping things straight and true.

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

WARNING,
Wing structure can twist with only clecos installed in the skin. A cleco is a smaller diameter than a rivet, this allows some flex of the structure. You can generate several 1/10 ths of a degree with just clecos installed. It does take some force to move it, but it is possible. I specifically tried this while building mine, and at least one builder found it the hard way.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Post by 75kr@att.net »

I too may "assume" that once the skin is drilled and clecoed in the fixture that it "may" not move in the riveting process but I am not willing to take that chance. IMHO locking down the skeleton prior to riveting is the last, best and final chance of insuring a straight and untwisted surface.

Kevin

ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Post by ykachuro »

I suspect that once the skins are fitted and drilled to the ribs/spars, they will stay alligned/fixed when riveted regardless whether he structure is fixed in a “jig” or not.

75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Myron,

I just did exactly as you described. I slid a small piece of stainless between the skin and the spar and cut off the excess with a dremel, then popped the few rivets that I had left out. I am hesitant to rivet the surface without having it locked down in it's jig.

Kevin

MyronNCallaham

Post by MyronNCallaham »

should have been "fixturing" ends

MikeS.
First Name: Mike
Last Name: Smith
City or Town: Tuscaloosa
State or Province: AL

Post by MikeS. »

Myron,

Trim the spar ends so they are flush with the outside of the ribs and then reassemble the HT structure with clecos. Use your 2x4's to support and elevate the HT but be careful not to bump a cleco. After assembly use wooden shims between the 2x4's and the trailing edge to keep the structure from rocking and then verify that there is no twist in the assembly. Start riveting per the manual. Flip the HT over and repeat on the opposite side.

Mike

MyronNCallaham

cutting filtering ends of horizontal spars

Post by MyronNCallaham »

I'm ready to rivet skins on horizontal tail. Cant find anything in the manual about cutting the fixturing ends of the spars. I would assume riveting the skins (both sides) except the outside ribs. Then, carefully cut spar ends while sliding material between skin and spar to protect skin. Then, finish riveting skins to outside ribs and outside ends of hinge. Is this a good method?
Suggestions welcomed.