Wingwalk doubler pictures?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Re: Wingwalk doubler pictures?

Post by PlaneDan »

Tony Spicer mentioned installing it under the skin. I had to think about that for a couple of minutes. It did not take long to come up with several advantages to doing it that way, and only one to not do it like that. The negative was that it might interfere with the fit of the skin. Well it didn't. The most positive for me was that it would not allow water to accumulate between the skin and doubler. Another is that it looks better, and last but not least is that you don't have to worry over getting the trim of it exactly right. I will include a photo on my next web site post, but you won't be able to see much, since it is hidden. I have also decided to wait on installing the wing walk material until I see if I will actually need to step on it when getting in and out of the plane.

http://pantherbuilder.org/
PantherBuilder.org

ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Post by ykachuro »

Scott, I fitted it to the wing, but haven’t finally trimed or rivetted it yet, which is left for final assembly — the doubler serves as the wing fairing as well. I’ve decided to do it per the BM. I’d exchanged emails with Dan and it made sense to me to stick to the BM (easier to see where to step, skins fit better together, looks better as the wing fairing being on top instead of under the wing skin and it is easier to fit and trim it as the wing fairing). But I guess since it is not so much a structural issue where the doubler goes — there are many ways to skin the cat (pun intended :))

Jinkers
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Flugum
City or Town: Fort Collins
State or Province: CO

Post by Jinkers »

Yuri, How did you end up installing your Wingwalk doubler?

ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Wingwalk doubler pictures?

Post by ykachuro »

I’d appreciate it if other builders would share a picture of how they installed the wingwalk doubler. I understand the recommended way is to place it on top of the inboard skin and trim it so that the forward edge is butted against the aft edge of the fuel tank skin. I see that some people put the doubler under the inboard skin. I can think of some benefits/drawbacks to one method v the other and it would be great to see some real life closeups. Besides, I am lacking cinfidence in my ability to trim the doubler so that it is butted well against the fuel tank skin....
Thanks!