Workspace Requirements

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Workspace Requirements

Post by Tony Spicer »

My bench is 4 x 12, mainly because that's what was convient to lay out a 4 x 12 sheet of aluminum when I scratch-built a Sonex. When I built it the shop was a 20 x 24 garage. My wife turned the whole thing over to me in exchange for a new car when the Sonex moved to the airport after two years in the garage. That arrangement was a win-win!

4 x 12 has certainly been large enough for the Panther. I'm no neat freak, and usually end up scraping a spot just large enough for whatever the current project requires. Figured a cleanup was past due when I struggled to make room for a 1 x 4 elevator.

The current wing skin arrangement has skins that wrap from trailing edge to trailing edge, which dictates the wing be built in a vertical fixture. I've tried to convince Dan to consider a more conventional skin layout, which would make it possible to build the wing flat on the table. We'll see how that plays out.

The best bet may be to just start out with something big enough for the tail kit. 4 x 6 would be fine for that. Add size as needed. And don't forget that at Lowes, the first couple of cuts on the panel saw are free.

Tony

csjohnson65
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Johnson
State or Province:

Re: Workspace Requirements

Post by csjohnson65 »

Hi Ron - I can't answer specific to the Panther, but I know that the EAA Chapter 1000 Standard Workbench is constructed by a lot of builders: http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/work ... rktabl.htm.

I understand that many build two or more and make modifications such as height, extending the top 2" for clamping, adding casters, and making them connectable (with door hinges I think).

Two are often used to build RVs so I imagine that would be fine for the Panther, but I'm sure the Beta Builders can provide more thoughts and information.

Chris

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Workspace Requirements

Post by RonFranck »

I thought I'd start a thread on workspace requirements so others could chime in with thoughts and/or questions about a building environment for the Panther.

One question I have is: What size workbench would be considered optimal for building upon? 4x8? 4x12? 6x8? 8x8? or something else? :?: :?:

For my last project I built (and still have) a 4x16 workbench. I must confess, that length really makes moving around the shop a pain in the butt. 16 feet is much too long and you never find yourself on the correct side of it. I also have a 2x24 workbench along one entire wall of the garage that is permanent to the shop but it is also home to my bookcase, bench vise, grinder, drill press, and storage shelves. I probably wouldn't consider that area as part of my building space.

I'd post a few pictures but the shop is in total disarray right now. I'm working on cleaning it out in preparations of starting construction of the tail kit but mentally I'm in that place where you say to yourself "I can't throw THAT out, I may need it some day!" :o

Cheers, Ron