Rivet Selection In Plans/BM?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
dgallant0x007
First Name: Dave
Last Name: G
City or Town: Denver
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Rivet Selection In Plans/BM?

Post by dgallant0x007 »

Just for feedback, as a new SPA builder, I struggled with the same thing.

I understand there are various options for rivets, but new builders will often start with the tail. Even if it is redundant, a rivet example or suggestion should be included on the plans so the quantities of the hardware kits can be respected.

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

I've just started my Panther and am struggling with the same thing. I understand the various rivets and their uses and having a choice is great. Is there any way, though, to understand what assumptions were used when the rivet quantities provided in the hardware kits were determined? I'm not trying to over think this, I'm just happy to go with whatever was originally assumed when the kit was put together. I'd rather not run out of a required type when I could just as easily made a different choice earlier.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Dan, thanks for the quick reply, copy all. Guess I was trying to make it harder than it is. Moving forward!

Kevin

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Kevin
It states in the rivet selection section clearly that if a specific rivet is needed for strength issue it will be called out. The wing spar is a good example. It also has guidelines like if a part in the "stack" is steel then it gets a stainless rivet.
outside of these you can use any desired rivet as long as it meets the minimum requirements given.

In the tail section we did not specify rivets. In later sections we do show what we used on the prototype, but it is not the only rivet that can or should be used. In Panthers rivets are a personal decision and many builders have enjoyed that we do not force them to use a specific style or material, but give the criteria for choosing the one that right for you.

At anytime Please feel free to call my direct dial 904 626 7792 , or open a support ticket and im glad to help with any rivet question!
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Rivet Selection In Plans/BM?

Post by 75kr@att.net »

I am just getting started and have spent too much time this p.m. trying to find callouts for rivets in the elevators for starters. I did read all the info on grip lengths and alloys etc. in BM and scoured the forum. Is there anywhere in the plans sheets or BM where it specifically calls out which rivets to use?? I'm not reopening the lengthy discussions about flush or domed heads.

I am making an assumption that the skins use BSC-42 to attach to ribs when going flush and the hinges use CCP-42. Is that right? Where does it say so?

When I choose to use BSC rivets for example I question whether or not the aluminum rivet is strong enough. If the plans spelled that out I wouldn't be concerned.

Are we leaving this critical choice to the builder??

Thanks,
Kevin