New (old) builder in Colorado

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Barry
First Name: Barry
Last Name: Cole
City or Town: Salida
State or Province: Co

Re: New (old) builder in Colorado

Post by Barry »

Sounds like a party!! Hey Rick, I got a smoking good deal on my o320 from Wentworth Aircraft, might give them a call.
Panther Sport #95

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

ykachuro wrote:It's a deal!

Rick, will you fly your panther over?
Yup, just as soon as I find a good used O-320. Would be a great flight.

Rick
Rick Holland
N6819Z

ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Post by ykachuro »

Barry, the beer here in Stramboat is very good cold or warm!

Barry

Post by Barry »

Scott,

Wow, we are going to have a squadron in Colorado!!! Van's air force better watch out!!

Who is going to in charge of this party?? I like my beer cold, warm, with someone or alone!

Barry
Panther Sport #95

Jinkers
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Flugum
City or Town: Fort Collins
State or Province: CO

Post by Jinkers »

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the party. I am in Fort Collins and am building an O320 Powered, Long Wing, Tri-Gear. Not sure if anyone is keeping track but Colorado might be #2 on the list behind FL for the number of Panthers being built.

Let me know when that party in Steam Boat is going to happen :D

-Scott

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

It's a deal!

Rick, will you fly your panther over?

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

ykachuro wrote:Barry, thanks! It’s a very subjective decision and no one can make it but me. I’ve talked to Dan. All the differences are clear.
Who doesn't want to go fast and land slow in an airplane that is impervious to G overloads and can handle a tornado with ease...
i think I’ll build the longer wings for now and can build another set of shorter wings later if I feel like the Vne/Vno is holding me back. For now, as the first time builder my primary goal is to stick to the plans, keep it simple and get it finished. I’ll do the balanced elevator, however. I’ll go start setting up the wing jig now :)

We should do a Colorado/Rocky Mountain get together! Maybe when it gets a bit warmer.
Yes a Rocky Mountain Panther party next Summer in Steamboat Springs, one of the most beautiful places in the country, and a real nice airport.
Rick Holland
N6819Z

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Barry, thanks! It’s a very subjective decision and no one can make it but me. I’ve talked to Dan. All the differences are clear.
Who doesn't want to go fast and land slow in an airplane that is impervious to G overloads and can handle a tornado with ease...
i think I’ll build the longer wings for now and can build another set of shorter wings later if I feel like the Vne/Vno is holding me back. For now, as the first time builder my primary goal is to stick to the plans, keep it simple and get it finished. I’ll do the balanced elevator, however. I’ll go start setting up the wing jig now :)

We should do a Colorado/Rocky Mountain get together! Maybe when it gets a bit warmer.

Barry

Post by Barry »

Yuri,

So glad to have yet another builder here in Colorado!! I think it is a great kit and a fabulous looking and performing plane for the money!

I went with the short wing for only a couple reasons, I want to make mine as fast as possible and fun as possible. I love a fast roll rate and speed, so that was my deciding factor. Plus it is less riveting!!

I would recommend talking to Dan about your decision, he could tell you better than me. I also read a post about this somewhere, so do a search and you will find it.

Good luck, look forward to meeting you someday!

Barry
Panther Sport #95

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Dear Barry, welcome aboard! I am in Steamboat Springs, kit #92. This is the first one for me. I was very apprehensive about something as crazy as building an airplane. I ordered the tail kit to give it a try. It went together so quick and so well, that I am into it now head over heals, so to speak.
May I pick your brain as to why you chose the shorter wings? That’s what I wanted to do, but now I am on a fence and need to decide asap as this indecision is holding me back. I have an IO340 on order. The way I see it, here are the adventages of the shorter and of the longer wings, respectively, as I see them.

Longer wing:

— better takeoff and climb performance (with the same engine/prop)
— likely more efficient cruise (in terms of mpg)
— slower stall speed
— better glide ratio
— most likely higher ceiling (with the same engine/prop)
— potential ability to fit within the LSA parameters (depending on the engine choice and other weight factors)

Shorter wing:
— higher Vne (shorter stiffer wing has more flutter margin)
— higher Va (shorter wings will stall sooner with the same Gs)
— presumably higher Vno and a little more comfort in turbulence
— maybe a little less drag because of the lesser frontal area? But then the induced drag at slower speeds must be higher since the shorter wing will be flying at greater AoA than the longer wing at the same speed...

I am struggling with the decision.