CCP-46 Rivets & Rear Spar Fitting

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Re: CCP-46 Rivets & Rear Spar Fitting

Post by ykachuro »

Speaking of CCP rivets for rear wing spar, per the CCP rivet specs, -45 seems to be a more perfect fit than -46 for the material thickness in the rear spar/stiffener. But -45 is a not as common and not as easy to source. And I am sure -46 is just as good if it is spec-ed by SPA

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

I received my CCP-46 rivets today and set right to work getting the rear spar doubler riveted to the rear spar. Each wing assembly consumes 41 of this size rivet in that location, a total of 82 rivets in both wings. The online Builder's Manual parts list for the wing hardware kit calls out 120 CCP-46 rivets. My question now is "Where do the remaining 38 rivets get consumed?"

Yuri, I looked on the Sonex website as you suggested but it looks as though they only sell rivets in batches of 100.

OK readers, I got an update from Rachel. The remaining, unused CCP-46 rivets are extras. In the event a builder needs to drill out any of these he or she will have extras on hand.

RonFranck

Post by RonFranck »

Rachel, yes, I did not order the wing hardware kit from SPA. Mine came through Aircraft Spruce because they assemble the kit for us very few builders who prefer building with protruding rivets. SPA does not. Having experienced this shortage I have to assume Aircraft Spruce must be working from an outdated material list similar to the list on this webpage: https://flywithspa.com/product/panther-wing-hardware-kit/.
The one place I did not cross-reference to when ordering from Aircraft Spruce was the Panther's Online Builder's Manual to verify completeness of their wing hardware kit. Perhaps corrections can be made so future builders who elect to build with protruding head rivets don't come across the same problem if ordering from Aircraft Spruce.
Thank you, Rachel and Yuri for helping me solve my mystery.
Until the CCP-46 rivets arrive I have much to occupy my time.
Build on! 8-)

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Another good source for ccp rivets at fair prices is sonex

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

Hi Ron,

I checked and don't have you listed as ordering the Panther Wing Hardware Kit P2700. This would be why you don't have these rivets.

Let me know if you would like to purchase the kit. Or you could just order them from ACS or RivetsOnline.

Best regards,

Rachel

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

The Wing Hardware list in the builder's manual lists 120 CCP 46 rivets. I haven't received mine yet so can't attest if they actually come with it.

RonFranck

CCP-46 Rivets & Rear Spar Fitting

Post by RonFranck »

I'm at that stage of construction where I need to rivet the Rear Spar and it's stiffener/Attach Fitting (P-W-RS-
P5216) to one another.
Both my print and the Online Builder's Manual call out CCP-46 rivets for the task. My problem is I can't find any CCP-46 rivets in my inventory of parts. I've searched every box and drawer in the shop. I've checked every packing slip and parts list in my possession, even the master parts list, all to no avail. I've checked SPA's website listing the contents of their Wing Hardware Kit but I find no mention of CCP-46 rivets. :?
There have now been enough Panther completions flying that, if this were a problem, it should have reared it's head by now but I have found no mention of this after searching the Forum page.
So, what am I missing? (besides the obvious)....... :| Do I need new glasses?? :geek: