0320 and Trigear Performance Info Please!!

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
75kr@att.net
First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Ross
City or Town: Granbury
State or Province: TX

Re: 0320 and Trigear Performance Info Please!!

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Thanks Bob. Copy all. Those are very respectable numbers of course and affirm my choice to have ordered this kit!

Kevin

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Post by woolleys »

Normal speeds low altitude, 2400 rpm 165. 2500 175 mph indicated.

75kr@att.net

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Thanks for an excellent write-up Bob! I do have a lot of RV trigear time and everything that I have experienced sounds exactly like what you described, and what I am looking for in a "daily driver" Panther. I have ordered serial number 091 and specified the trigear and a Lycoming mount.

What speeds are you seeing typically with the 160 hp?

Thanks again,
Kevin

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Post by woolleys »

Kevin. Buddy Henson LS Tri-Gear is the only one flying at this time. I have flown 36 hours of the phase one time and should transition into phase II this month.

His LS Trike, which I had a role in buildings, has these basic numbers:
Empty weight 850 pounds.
Sensenick 68 inch ground adjustable prop ( this is an excellent prop, which I ran on my panther prior to going to a constant speed). A 68 inch prop is the max. you want to put on a trike.
Lyc. 0320 160 HP
Basic steam gages with a electric attitude indicator
Large Matco wheels and smaller brakes.
It appears that the trike arrangement added about 18 #'s.
For comparison Steve Pedano TD is almost identical in configuration and 20 pounds lighter.

Basic flying of the airplane has no noticeable differences over the taildagger. Speeds match up pretty much even with the TD. The TD maybe slightly faster flat out but very slightly.
The only minor difference in flight is the trim requirement. Steve's TD requires about one third forward and after trim for cruise and landing. The TD requires more nose down trim at high speed/normal cruise and requires all of the back trim for landing. This most likely is due to nose gear drag and placement of main gear and drag components in relation to lift. A problem, no just difference between the TD and Trike.

Ground handling is typical trike; easy. Most of my time has been operating off of a grass runway that is thick with grass about 4 inches high. Sufficient time has been spent on paved runway to determine handling qualities between turf and pavement. Taxi control during no wind conditions sees rudder control and steerage with the rudder, no brakes, just above idle power. On pavement the lightness of the aircraft requires more brake to keep it slowed down, but in no wind it will track straight and requires little braking to keep straight.

Takeoff handling is a no brainer; the rudder comes alive and will easily maintain control immediately. Handles crosswinds easily with the rudder and only in the most sever crosswinds does it need a touch of brake. On turf surfaces with thick grass the airplane has a tendency to plow; as does all trikes. I use the full aft stick during acceleration and the nose lightens immediately. as soon as the nose wheel clears the grass I hold it there and it lifts off just like a tail low TD. If you wait until the speed overcomes the drag with neutral stick take off roll is 10% longer. This not an issue on pavement and a normal slightly aft stick application will have the nose wheel float off and become airborne about 65 MPH.

Landings on our grass runway the nose wheel immediately comes down to the runway and all the back stick will not keep the nose wheel up; to much grass drag. This is not the case with pavement, if you make a normal nose up landing and have a smooth touch down you can hold the nose off until about 60 MPH. If you make a firm touchdown or drop it in slightly the nose will immediately touch down on the runway. If you have flown any of the Vans RV trikes it handles almost exactly like those. If you use the idea that the nose wheel is a taxi aid it will be a dream to fly, land and taxi. Although Dan make the nose gear fairly robust, I still protect the nose gear with never doing three point landings.

The Panther Trike rivals a Cessna 150 for ease of handling during ground operations.

75kr@att.net

0320 and Trigear Performance Info Please!!

Post by 75kr@att.net »

Hey Guys, several of you are now flying behind 0320's could you give us some real world performance numbers please. It doesn't have to be test pilot/engineering data, just tell us what you are seeing how it feels etc.

Also, would anyone flying a Trigear tell us how the ground handling is? There are a lot of us out here wondering. I assume the inflight handling would be unchanged and fine.

Thanks a bunch,
Kevin