Folding wing fuel connection

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
ykachuro
First Name: Yuri
Last Name: K
City or Town: St John + Steamboat
State or Province: USVI + CO

Re: Folding wing fuel connection

Post by ykachuro »

Further to the above, when I mentioned jiffy-tite disconnects in our application to someone who is very experienced with hoses and fittings, he said that jiffy-tite quick disconnects are a quality product, but in our application it might be advisable to safety wire the connection due to its critical role. As Brent mentioned, this might be a reason why the BM recommends the “quarter turn” dry break quick disconnects. Not because they seal better, but because they provide a more positive coupling that is less suseptible to operator’s error. In my search, I found another, slightly less expensive, quick disconnect similar to the fuelsafe disconnect mentioned in the BM. Here is a link: https://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/ ... 585e2b87a7 for reference. No personal experience with this coupling yet.

mayo3808
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Mayo
City or Town: Fernandina
State or Province: FL

Post by mayo3808 »

ykachuro wrote:Brent and others who are fortunate to fly, am I correct that the quick disconnect goes straight on the fuel tank fitting, on one end, and the other end is on a flexible fuel line that goes to the tank selector valve?
Thanks!
Yes, this allows you to pull wing out from fuselage and disconnect fuel line to fuel tank. This part the the fuel system should be the same for most engine installations.
Fred wrote:Having said that I purchased the Fuel Safe quick disconnects recommended in the builders manual (at a cost of $250). I probably should have checked this forum first because the JiffyTite fittings are about half the cost. So to anyone reading this thread that hasn't started yet, I would recommend going with the Jiffy Tite system for the folding wing disconnect. The quality appears to be just as good but at half the price.
Fred,
If anyone using the Jiffy-Tite fuel disconnect fitting please make sure they are connected to fuel tank properly and will not pop off during flight. This maybe why SPA recommends the Fuel-Safe fuel fitting at twice the price. :?:

You've seen air hose coupler disconnect you thought was connected properly (locked) but pops off when you started using it?
Be SAFE think things over. The SPA team has a lot of experience with airplanes building and engines installation.
Brent Mayo
SN#053 Flying
Corvair 3.0
Fernandina, FL

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Fred, if you go with Corvair, Bent has a few pictures of his plumbings in the cockpit it is peculiar to the Carvair install as it relies on electric pumps —hence dual electric pumps plumbed in parallel.

I am going with traditional FI (engine driven pump, electric boost pump (andair) and a filter between the selector valve and the boost pump. I am yet to decide on the hoses and fittings.

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Thank you for the replies.

I understand that the manual cannot possibly cover every variation conceivable. However, I think that since all of the airframess are basically identical low wing, two tank systems with a single engine, then the basic plumbing is going to be very similar between them all. (Unless you are running fuel injection). I was looking for some simple guidance on how to run the lines to the tanks and where to plumb the diconnects for the folding wings. I enjoy the challenge of building as well, but after several hundred hours you try to conserve time and not re-invent the wheel where possible.

If anyone can post a picture or two that would be great.

Having said that I purchased the Fuel Safe quick disconnects recommended in the builders manual (at a cost of $250). I probably should have checked this forum first because the JiffyTite fittings are about half the cost. So to anyone reading this thread that hasn't started yet, I would recommend going with the Jiffy Tite system for the folding wing disconnect. The quality appears to be just as good but at half the price.

Thanks again,
Fred

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Brent and others who are fortunate to fly, am I correct that the quick disconnect goes straight on the fuel tank fitting, on one end, and the other end is on a flexible fuel line that goes to the tank selector valve?
Thanks!

mayo3808
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Mayo
City or Town: Fernandina
State or Province: FL

Post by mayo3808 »

The builders manual does specify the fuel disconnect fitting to use Fuelsafe.com PN# QDS06.
I used Jiffy Tite 2000 fittings from Summit Racing on my project. I also used nylon braided ethanol rated hose from Summit Racing. This part of the fuel hose setup should be the same for most any engine.
Brent Mayo
SN#053 Flying
Corvair 3.0
Fernandina, FL

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Jiffy connector part numbers are in manual under "Fuel Fittings Quick Disconnect"
Last edited by at7000ft on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Holland
N6819Z

ykachuro

Post by ykachuro »

Fred, I am like you and never tried to build an airplane before. At times, I wish the BM were a little more comprehensive. However, I find myself enjoying the chellange of learning new things on my own with the gentle guidance from the plans and the BM. When I get stuck or in serious doubt, I know I can reach out to the Team SPA or this forum. Most of the time, I get further sufficie t guadance. Sometimes, when the guidance is delayed, I realize that I can figure it on my own and get a kick out of it.
Regarding the fuel system generally, I think it is much more dependent on the powerplant choice than on the airframe. With the unlimited options of powerplants that the airframe is designed to accomodate, we can’t expect detailed instructions on the fuel system generally. If you go with the corvair option (I don’t), I am sure Dan and the team would be able to share their first hand expertese. In case you choose another engine, there are other resources, although, in my case, Dan has shared his views with me on my ideas regarding a fuel setup with a lycoming clone, but I did my homework as well.
On the other hand, just like you, I wish the BM was more specific about the fuel disconnect setup. I am almost at the point where I will be dealing with it. I hope other builders will share their setups so that the forum builds up the collective know-how.
In any case, please share what you’ve decided to do.
Thanks!

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Hi,

I am about to leak test my fuel tanks. I purchased the Fuel Safe quick disconnects that are recommended in the builders manual. While waiting for them I decided to jump ahead and see how the fuel quick disconnect is attached to the fuselage and tank.

In searching the manual I found the section titled "Installing fuel line disconnect". In opening the chapter, all it says is "Enter topic here". The same goes for installing the outside vent line. I could not find anything at all about fuel lines or even fuel pumps in the manual. Am I looking in the wrong place? I'm a first time builder and I am not sure how to proceed with the disconnect or the fuel setup inside the fuselage. Where have others found the info? I cannot find anything relating to the fuel system other than what disconnect is recommended and the fuel valve. Not sure how to proceed.

Thanks
Fred

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

The fuel lines we use are a synthetic rubber interior over wrapped with stainless steel, and in many cases covered with fire sleeve (especially forward of the firewall). Like anything else, they should be inspected, and replaced as necessary. Any type of rubber has a limited life, and should be replaced periodically.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder