New build

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Dave Taylor
First Name: David
Last Name: Taylor
City or Town: Warner Robins
State or Province: Georgia

Re: New build

Post by Dave Taylor »

Rick,
Thanks for the advice. This is exactly the type of information I was looking for.

Dan,
The thought process was to try and have my cake and eat it too. I was looking at buying a cheap two seat aircraft so I could fly with my daughter while building the Panther by plans. Thank you for the information. I spoke with Rachel a few days ago and she said the information I was looking at on the website was old data and that plans building wasn't an option. Thank you for responding. The Panther is an amazing machine. I am looking forward to seeing how the Cougar compares.

-Dave

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Dave
I don't know what the thought is on building the tail from plans. But if cost is a factor it is less expensive to build from a tail kit, then upgrade to a full kit. If you built a tail from plans you would loose the "kit discount pricing" and it will actually cost at least 2k more than from a tail kit then taking advantage of the full kit upgrade.
Also the plans do have the basic info to build the from , but not the rest of the aircraft (ie wings fuse etc) so kit building is the only option for the rest.
The Cougar will not have any plans build options at all.
If plans build is your desire , the Thatcher line as well as the original Sonex are both good aircraft and are fairly easy to build from plans.
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Dave Taylor wrote:I am considering building a Panther tail kit by plans. The Cougar would be my preference but it's probably several years away. Is anyone else building by plans? I"m thinking of building the empennage by plans and buying the kit for the rest of the airplane. Any advice or opinions are welcome.
Hey Dave

My first homebuilt was a plans built Pietenpol, lots of wood sanding and gluing, and just about as much metal cutting/grinding and tig welding. Talked to Dan about plans building the Panther and he talked me out of it and I am very glad he did. Have finished the tail, wings, tanks, and working the fuselage now. The kit is so well done and everything is so precise that you will have to be a very good fabricator to plans build an empennage that will match the quality of the rest of the plane. If I want to do a plans built again I would build something like a CX4/5/7 as a next project (but the Cougar will probably be available by then).

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Dave Taylor
First Name: David
Last Name: Taylor
City or Town: Warner Robins
State or Province: Georgia

New build

Post by Dave Taylor »

I am considering building a Panther tail kit by plans. The Cougar would be my preference but it's probably several years away. Is anyone else building by plans? I"m thinking of building the empennage by plans and buying the kit for the rest of the airplane. Any advice or opinions are welcome.