Seats

Topics about finishing touches
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Re: Seats

Post by at7000ft »

bruceflys wrote:DJ at Cleaveland Tool made a seat for my Panther. Excellent workmanship, fits well, nice looking and comfortable. She will customize for you or use standard dimensions. Importantly, specify if you will use a parachute part-time as I plan to do, i.e. a thicker back cushion so I would not have to shift the seat back when switching. Also I asked for a slit in the bottom cushion for the crotch belt. Cost was $667 all included for faux leather.

Bruce
Interesting, first Panther seats I have seen without the long slot in the bottom front with the two sides going all the way up. Any negatives to building a seat bottom without the big slot?

rh
Rick Holland
N6819Z

tomkk
First Name: Tom
Last Name: Kodey
City or Town: Port Orange
State or Province: FL

Post by tomkk »

I'll second what Bruce said. DJ did a great job. I don't know a lot about upholstery but DJ asked the right questions so the seat turned out perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom
Port Orange, Fl
Panther #104 (1st flight March 13, 2020, 72 hrs as of July 15, 2020)
RV-12 (1st flight June 10, 2015)
RV-12 (Eagles Nest 1st flight May 18, 2019)

bruceflys
First Name: Bruce
Last Name: McGregor
City or Town: Ocala

Post by bruceflys »

DJ at Cleaveland Tool made a seat for my Panther. Excellent workmanship, fits well, nice looking and comfortable. She will customize for you or use standard dimensions. Importantly, specify if you will use a parachute part-time as I plan to do, i.e. a thicker back cushion so I would not have to shift the seat back when switching. Also I asked for a slit in the bottom cushion for the crotch belt. Cost was $667 all included for faux leather.

Bruce
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rv10builder
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sutherland
City or Town: Arrington
State or Province: TN

Post by rv10builder »

I’m dropping mine off tomorrow to be covered. Not sure how this will work out, but a buddy had some remnant memory foam so I used 3M spray adgesive to put it together and used a carving knife to shape it. My parachute acts as the seat back, but since it sits ~3” higher than the seat bottom I’ll need to come up with a spacer to support it.
Brian S.
Arrington, TN
SPA Panther Sport S/N 087, O-320-B2B (160HP), Catto 3-Blade, GRT Mini, flying 100+ hours
RV-10 N104BS (Sold)

at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Post by at7000ft »

Given the outrageous prices for pre-made Panther seats, and since no homebuilder with any self respect should have to buy anything pre-made (other than an airplane kit, engine, prop, tires/wheels/brakes/axles, avionics, etc), I will be making my seat. Would anyone mind sharing the dimensions of their seats?

And concerning usage of a parachute, how do you account for that? If you get a sit-on-top-of chute do you need to temporarily remove your seat bottom and ditto the seat back for a backpack type parachute?

Thanks

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

Just picked up my Custom Made seat today. Not installed, but will do that tomorrow.
2017-06-10_Seat_03.jpg
2017-06-10_Seat_02.jpg
PantherBuilder.org

mayo3808
First Name: Brent
Last Name: Mayo
City or Town: Fernandina

Post by mayo3808 »

I purchased my seat from Cleveland aircraft tools. Talk with DJ she has the patterns already made for the Panther.
Brent Mayo
SN#053 Flying
Corvair 3.0
Fernandina, FL

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Post by woolleys »

Fred. Most of the Panther owners around the Green Cove Springs area are having them custom made. Paul Salters made his. Steve Pedano, Buddy Henson (twice) and I had a local car upholster shop do ours. We supplied the foam (memory) and they supplied the fabric. Cushions are fairly straight forward and any good seamstress can do the work.

Bob Woolley

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Seats

Post by fwellman@att.net »

I'm wondering where people are getting their seat cushions. Are you having them custom made, making them yourself, or is there a source?

Thanks,
Fred