Engine weights

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Larry DeCamp
First Name: Larry
Last Name: DeCamp
City or Town: Clinton
State or Province: Indiana

Re:Light accessories

Post by Larry DeCamp »

Fred,
I have a light weight starter with 18 hours on it. It is 122t and I have two extra flywheels. All came off my 0320 I replaced with Sky dynamics 149T. If you want them for your 290 they will be real cheap.
FYI my B&C SD8 dynamo has been great for over 100 hour and Bob Knuckles just tested an old one with MANY hours that still worked perfect. decamplarry@gmail.com

sowell
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Sowell
City or Town: Fort Worth
State or Province: TX

Re: Engine weights

Post by sowell »

My finished and installed weight of my corvair is roughly 40-45 lbs lighter than the installed weight of an 0-235. That's based on the empty weights of mine and Sean's planes which are largely identical except for engine choices, and corrects for a few other small differences such as battery choice, wheel pants, seat back, and small avionics differences. The differences in weights would include required differences such as cowl weight differences and other items required for installation. Maybe that helps you if you can compare the installed weight of your engine to an 0-235.

I didn't weigh the corvair separately.
Brian Sowell
Based at KFWS
Joshua, TX 76058
Flying Panther N389TX
SN047

https://www.facebook.com/panthercitypanthers

fwellman@att.net
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Wellman
City or Town: Middleburg Hts
State or Province: Ohio

Engine weights

Post by fwellman@att.net »

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone has actually weighed their 0-320 or Corvair motor. I have a Lyc. 0-290D2 that I would like to put in my Panther. I would like to know the actual weight benefits, in pounds, between these options.

I weighed my 0-290 and it weighs 254 pounds empty but with all accesories. I could probably save a few pounds with a light weight starter and alternator.

Any info on actual weights would be appreciated.

Fred