Corvair

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: Corvair

Post by rlweseman »

The props we support will be determined by the support of the engine and the props that make the most sense for the airframe/engine combination. Did you have one in mind that you were curious about?

csjohnson65
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Johnson
State or Province:

Re: Interested in the Corvair - Props and VNE

Post by csjohnson65 »

psalter wrote:...We are still testing different propeller combinations, so we haven't published these numbers yet. ...We will continue to expand the upper end of the envelope to see if we get any flutter.
Hi -

What prop's are you testing and intend to test/expect to support? That would be interesting to know not only for the Corvair, but also the Lycoming 320, Jabiru 3300, and appropriate ULPower engines.

Is the 200mph VNE a fixed spec or might it be different depending on wing length and/or increase as you expand the upper end of the envelope?

Thanks!

Chris

Darwin

Re: Corvair

Post by Darwin »

I'm still more confident with an aircraft engine but the Corvair seems like an good less costly option. My concern is how well it will hold up to aerobatics in the long term. I know the panther has the Corvair but is there any experience with longer term acro ?

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: Interested in the Corvair

Post by psalter »

Merle,

The top speed to date with the Corvair is 176 mph, approximately 1200 fpm rate of climb, cruise is approximately 150 mph depending on how far you pull the throttle back. We are still testing different propeller combinations, so we haven't publshed these numbers yet. There are still a few more props we want to test. Dan has taken the Panther to about 210mph in a dive (exceeding Vne) with no signs of flutter. We will continue to expand the upper end of the envelope to see if we get any flutter.

Tail kits are expected to be available at Oshkosh.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

merlelmiller
First Name: Merle
Last Name: Miller
State or Province:

Interested in the Corvair

Post by merlelmiller »

Hi, I'm a new member and have been following the progress since last year when I saw the prototype at OSH. I currently have an RV-4 that I finished 2 years ago, and I am getting the itch to build again. I really like the design and using the Corvair would be my choice. Is there somewhere the performance figures (with the Corvair) have been published?
Also when are plans and/or kits going to be available?

Regards,
Merle

AussieEnthusiast
First Name: Russell
Last Name: Ashton
State or Province:

Re: Corvair power?

Post by AussieEnthusiast »

I'm really keen to hear about the 2 seater and 3.4 Ltr Stroker Crank option when it surfaces. What a combination that will be. Can't wait. I'll just have to convince my wife to sit behind me and not beside me ( could take some doing )...

Kokemiller
First Name: Kelley
Last Name: Kokemiller
State or Province:

Post by Kokemiller »

Curious to know how much fuel was burned in the 1st 40 or an average fuel burn during that period.

Congratulations to everyone on phase 1 completion!

Rpellicciotti
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Pellicciotti
State or Province:

Post by Rpellicciotti »

I would really like to do one with the UL Power 130hp engine. They seem very impressive.

Rick Pellicciotti

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Corvair power?

Post by Tony Spicer »

At one time I was not a big fan of the Corvair. I've had a Jab 3300 in a Sonex, a FP O-320 in an RV-3 and a CS O-320 in an RV-4. I trust what Dan (and WW) have done with the Corvair and will have one in my Panther. For others not so inclined, the second Panther will be Lycoming powered.

Tony