Corvair

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Re: Corvair

Post by psalter »

The corvair has its own cowling. Slightly smaller than the universal. There are currently 3 cowling options, corvair, jabiru, and universal.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Cowlings

Post by PlaneDan »

This is probably not the right place in the forum for this topic, but did not see any other and there are already some questions about cowlings here, so...

Will the "Universal" cowling be appropriate for the Corvair engine installation or is there still a specific cowl for that engine?
PantherBuilder.org

jcar
First Name: John
Last Name: Car
City or Town: Fort mill
State or Province: SC

Post by jcar »

Blast from the past!

http://youtu.be/frPaxPvY_XI

jcar

Post by jcar »

Last edited by jcar on Sat May 24, 2014 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jcar

Post by jcar »

I want to build a Corvair 120HP engine and need to know what model year corvair engine I need. I want to use your new Billet crank kit and 5th bearing. Please be specific on what I need to look for in a used donor engine.

Thank you!

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Paul,

Thanks for the great information. The Corvair is definitely a unique engine (the removable crankcase cover in particular). I didn't think much of them before, but I will definitely consider them now.

Glen

psalter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Glen,

The 3.0L engine is rated at 120 hp at 3400 rpm. In the Panther, with the propellor we are using, we are getting around 3000 to 3100 rpm, which translates to about 100 hp. That is why we say we have 100hp.

By the way, the cam is in the engine block. The Corvair does not have overhead cams, those are the valve covers.

There are not many new cranks that have been running yet. The Panther has the first billet crank and has about 100 hours on it.

As far as high time Corvairs go, there are some that have over 1000 hours on them. It is recommended that all Corvairs have a 5th bearing installed. In reality, most pilots will only put 100 hours or so a year on the engine, so even 1000 hours is over 10 years. One of the nice thing about the Corvair, the upper cover can be removed pretty easily and the cam and crank can be inspected easily. Something that is hard to do with Lycoming's and Continental's without removing cylinders.

I believe that a set overhaul time is not a very good indicator. The best thing is conditional, as Dan has said check the oil pressure at idle before shutting down and keep track of the pressure. If it starts to drop off, then you might need to look at an overhaul. Also, cut oil filters open and check for presence of metal. All engines wear at different rates due to their operating environment. Dan and William can tell you more about the best indicators for excessive wear.

Paul
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Paul,

There is a lot of good information on the links you posted. The engine pictured on the last link says this is the one in the Panther prototype. It says it's a 3000, and the cam covers say 120 hp. Is the Panther engine 100 or 120 hp? If one builds a Corvair engine with a brand new crank and the 5th bearing, is there any estimate on how long this engine will last before it needs to be overhauled? Are there any high time engines out there with these modifications?

Glen

psalter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Glen,

William also gave me this link to post http://flycorvair.net/2013/12/24/basic- ... formation/

Paul
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

psalter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Glen,

www.flycorvair.com and www.flycorvair.net are sister sites owned and maintained by William Wynne. The http://flycorvair.com/ has some links to basic corvair information and history. There is a link on the home page for basic information.

Paul
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder