Flight controls

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Re: Flight controls

Post by Tony Spicer »

Today was a great day! The last two fuel tanks (six total) were leak-checked and loaded in the back of the truck for the trip to the UPS Store. And I was back in the shop working on the rudder. If there's a tail kit in your future, have a look here: https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo ... rEmpennage#

Tony

1planeguy
First Name: Jeremy
Last Name: Casey
State or Province:

Post by 1planeguy »

Sorry for the completely poor manners. I'm crashing this thread to try to contact Tony Spicer offlist. Had your email years ago and can't seem to find it. Please contact me at jeremy@kilocharlie.us

Jeremy Casey

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Thanks Tony,
Glen

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

Next time you're messing around with the brake, take a strip of aluminum a couple inches wide. stick it in the brake and make a bend right down the middle at as sharp an angle as the brake will bend it. Tape it on to the clamping piece on top of the brake. That effectively puts a bigger radius on the sharp edge. Now clamp the piece you want to bend and bend away. You'll see it has a nice radius. Need a bigger radius? Use two pieces. A good brake will allow the clamping piece to be adjusted for setback.

Tony

GlenNJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony or Dan,

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how Dan sets up his brake to bend the aluminum and achieve the proper bend radius. If you look at the brakes most sheet metal shops use, the upper blade has a sharp angle. This produces a small radius bend. This is fine for bending steel, but won't work for aluminum.
Glen

habickford
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Bickford
State or Province:

Post by habickford »

Tony,
A few thoughts jump out here. Certainly Dan does great work. It reminds of what Chip Foose does on Overhaulin; he makes or modifies the parts if they are not readily available. The results speak for themselves. Have fun building.

Harold

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Glen,

Dan uses bending brakes, press brakes, male dies, female dies, setbacks and published minimum bend radii for 6061T6. And a very large dose of talent.

Tony

GlenNJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony,
I have used brakes to make duct work, with galvanized steel for years. I know I can't bend aluminum the same way. If you don't give aluminum bends enough radius, they will crack. Bending steel is much easier than bending aluminum, so be careful when using a Sheet Metal shop's brake. How does Dan get the proper bend radius when he made his control surfaces?
Glen

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Flight controls

Post by Tony Spicer »

A big box arrived yesterday. Flight controls and tank parts at last! Dan tried local sheet metal shops for the flight controls. They told him not possible with the accuracy he wanted. So he did it himself. And they are beautiful!

The trim tab is temporarily attached to the left elevator with four small tabs. Just above the tab are the trim tab spars. If you've ever built an RV trim tab you will love this.

Will get the current set of tanks finished, then jump on the flight controls. All the ribs have already been formed.

Tony