Larger pilot fit - cockpit dimensions

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: Larger pilot fit - cockpit dimensions

Post by rlweseman »

Here is a cockpit dimension drawing for those who have any lingering doubts about whether or not you will fit.
http://flypanther.files.wordpress.com/2 ... -dims1.pdf

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Photos of most of what Paul talked about are here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tonyboytoo ... typePhotos#

Tony

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

Getting exact dimensions isn't as easy as it sounds, as everything is adjustable in this cockpit. The rudder pedals have 2 ways to adjust them, the quick way with the control cables (3 positions) and the pivot points for the rudder another 3 positions (9 positions total). The seat back can be moved forward or back at the bottom, and then the pitch of the seat back can be changed. So, someone with shorter legs, but taller torso could move the seat back forward and lean back more and get slightly more headroom. Also, this is a prototype canopy and has the wrong shape, the production one will be slightly taller.

Having said that, to keep things simple for me and not remove anything from the aircraft, here are some dimensions, seat cushions not included:
43" from rudder petals to seat back at the bottom. (This dimension approximates the bend in your legs while seated. Rudders centered, quick change rudder in longest position, rudder pivot about 2" aft.)
42" from the seat bottom to the top of the roll bar. (in aft most position)
25 1/4" between the canopy rails.

The seat bottom is about 4" from the floor at the back, and approximately 10" above the floor at the front spar.

If the pivot points for the rudder were moved, you could get approximately 2" more leg room.

We have 2" thick medium foam cushions, that probably compress to 1" thick with weight. Your cushions will probably be different.

I am about 6' and I have a 38" inseam about 240 lbs. We have the quick change rudder in the middle position, rudder pivots about 2" aft of the forward most point.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Finally found the photo of Dubes in the Panther.

He manages to get in the front seat of his RV-4 and fly formation aerobatics with TeamAerodynamics.

Tony

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Chris,

Rachel and Dan are taking a well deserved break. Actual numbers when they return. In the meantime, I sent your email to a bud of mine that tried the Panther on at S&F. His response: "Exactly the same size. He'll fit with room to spare." Couple of the guys at Haller are headed to Orlando to drag Shaq back for a trial fit as well.

Tony

Sacpilot
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Braun
City or Town: Rocklin
State or Province: CA

Larger pilot fit - cockpit dimensions

Post by Sacpilot »

I am a 6 ft 2 1/2, 235 lbs and 36 inch inseam. Will I fit with headset? What are the cockpit dimensions? Might be helpful for customers if it was posted near drawings in a diagram. Could eliminate questions. I want to build this.

What is distance from seat to canopy along seatback when put in largest position?
What is distance between panel and floor?
Distance from pedal to seat with pedals forward?
Height from floor to top of bottom seat cushion?
Christopher Braun
CFII - Owner Norcal Flight Center
EAA Lifetime #808722
Panther SN-052