ULPower

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Robert Helms
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Helms
State or Province:

Re: ULPower

Post by Robert Helms »

Hi Chris,

The stated HP for our six cyl engines is indeed 3200 rpm. The torque and power curves are pretty flat so there is still a lot of power as the rpm drops. Most prop manufacturers are aiming for using 2800 as the cruise rpm.

With respect to props I've learned that each Airframe/Engine combination requires it's own unique propeller design. Several different propeller companies are now designing props for UL Power engines (e.g. Sensenich, Catto, Whirlwind, DUC, Airmaster, etc.). When Dan does the FWF Kit for the Panther it will be up to him to decide which prop he wants to include with each different HP engine (but I'll work very closely with him).

I think you are right about the UL520i. This is in fact the engine that Dan wants to install on his plane. I think it will be a nice combination too.

Have you ordered a kit? You are welcome to call me if you want to chat. Or email if you want an invitation to our technical blog.

Regards,
Robert
573 434 0075
RHelms@ULPower.Net

csjohnson65
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Johnson
State or Province:

Post by csjohnson65 »

Hi Robert - Could you provide a bit of education on ULPower engine HP, RPM, and prop selection?

Panther spec's suggest a max of 160hp. ULPower engines go up to 200hp, and it looks like max HP is achieved at 3200-3300 RPM for any of the engines rated for above 100HP. Most GA props are rated for 2700 max RPM.

Intuitively it would appear that the UL 520i 180HP engine run at a max of about 2650 RPM and therefore 160HP would be a logical choice, or are there recommended props for the UL 390is 160HP and others that can spin at 3200 RPM?

Obviously the above assumes someone wants to have max approved HP in their Panther, and there are other considerations depending on mission.

Thanks,

Chris

Robert Helms
State or Province:

Post by Robert Helms »

I think all of our engines would work in the Panther. That is what is so nice about this plane. The six may cause it to go out of the light sport category.

csjohnson65
First Name: Chris
Last Name: Johnson
State or Province:

Post by csjohnson65 »

Hi Robert,

I imagine that the UL350iS 130hp would be a nice fit for the Panther. Do you know yet if any of your 6 cylinder engines will be an option, particularly the 140hp or 160hp versions? I understand that they run remarkably smooth.

Thanks,

Chris

Robert Helms
State or Province:

Post by Robert Helms »

The factory built one and shipped it to a customer for testing. The customer never installed it. They were going to try to get it back but I don't know what happened to it. The plan is to have an "iSA" option for all of our engines. That would be awesome in the Panther.

Rpellicciotti
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Pellicciotti
State or Province:

Post by Rpellicciotti »

Robert Helms wrote:I look at it this way....

What octane fuel can you get? The "i" models cam use 91 octane. The "iS" needs 93 octane.

What is your budget? Our engines start at $19,000 nd go up to $35,000.

Do you want to stay Light Sport? Probably better not go over 130hp.

Do you want the inverted oil system? You need iSA model.

And finally, what performance do you want? The 260iS at 107HP and $20,000 is a good choice. I personally would want more power.

I hope this helps. Call if you want to chat.
Robert, is the 130hp engine available with the inverted oil system (iSA model)?

Rick

Robert Helms
State or Province:

Post by Robert Helms »

All of our engines are available directly from SPA.

Robert Helms
State or Province:

Post by Robert Helms »

I look at it this way....

What octane fuel can you get? The "i" models cam use 91 octane. The "iS" needs 93 octane.

What is your budget? Our engines start at $19,000 nd go up to $35,000.

Do you want to stay Light Sport? Probably better not go over 130hp.

Do you want the inverted oil system? You need iSA model.

And finally, what performance do you want? The 260iS at 107HP and $20,000 is a good choice. I personally would want more power.

I hope this helps. Call if you want to chat.

CAVU Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: A
State or Province:

Post by CAVU Mark »

Bob, Which of your engines would your recommend? Personally I like the 107HP model.

Mark

Robert Helms
State or Province:

Post by Robert Helms »

Thanks Tony. I'll help answer any questions people may have. I've had a couple of inquiries from prospective Panther builders so I'll refer them to this site so they can see what others have to say. We've also got a ULPower Technical Blog if anybody wants to join I can send an email link back to them if they email to me at RHelms@ULPower.Net.

Robert Helms
General Manager
ULPower North America