Firewall forward kits

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
robsagan
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Sagan
City or Town: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA

Re: Firewall forward kits

Post by robsagan »

I plan on having Dan build me a complete and ready to run 120hp Corvair engine, which will obviously require an intake and exhaust manifold, and an engine mount and cowling. I'll be running a Rotec TBI.

Im trying to calculate what else will be required for the FWF.

Prop
Spinner
Linkages
Baffling
Battery
Hoses
Engine monitoring devices/wiring

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

robsagan wrote:I'm getting ready to start building a Panther, which will be my first ever "homebuilt" aircraft." I'm in the process of calculating the total cost.

I plan on purchasing a complete 120hp Corvair engine from the Flycorvair.com website, and wanted to know what is included in the firewall forward kit. (ie: hoses, baffling, linkages, intake, exhaust, carb heat box, etc?)

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Rob,

No such animal as a FWF kit. For budgeting purposes, just ask somebody that's already done it to provide a ball-park number for everything required to get a Corvair up and running. Add to that the 2k to have WW build the engine. And because builders are notorious for not telling the truth when it comes to how much they've spent, add another 10-15%.

Tony

chuckkemp
First Name: Chuck
Last Name: Kemp
City or Town: Fredericksburg
State or Province: Texas

Post by chuckkemp »

During my search this is what I've come up with for the firewall forward parts using a corvair.

EPX Distributor SPA 1
HT Switch Unit (Coil Switch) Amazon 1
Bosh Coil 0012 Amazon 2
Engine Baffle Kit SPA 1
Intake Manifold SPA 1
Marvel MA3-SPA O/H Cost Need Core 1
Exhaust SPA 1
Propeller SPA 1
13" Prop Spinner Van's Aircraft 1
Engine Mount SPA 1
Engine Cowling SPA 1

I'm sure I'm missing some of the small items like spark plug wires. Didn't know FlyCorvair has published a complete engine price. I made my list using their catalog of parts and SPA's catalog. You should confirm if any of the parts I listed above are included in the complete engine price. At the time of my search the above items totaled ~$5,700 +shipping. Items like the generator, oil cooler, starter etc I included in the price of my engine build calculations, I don't know if those items are included or not in your complete engine purchase.

Current price for most of the firewall forward items can be found https://flywithspa.com/product-category ... ll-foward/

Hope this helps,

Chuck

robsagan
First Name: Rob
Last Name: Sagan
City or Town: Santa Rosa
State or Province: CA

Firewall forward kits

Post by robsagan »

I'm getting ready to start building a Panther, which will be my first ever "homebuilt" aircraft." I'm in the process of calculating the total cost.

I plan on purchasing a complete 120hp Corvair engine from the Flycorvair.com website, and wanted to know what is included in the firewall forward kit. (ie: hoses, baffling, linkages, intake, exhaust, carb heat box, etc?)

Any information is greatly appreciated.