VW

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Bill Martin
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Matin
State or Province:

Re: VW

Post by Bill Martin »

I assume the the reason in lack of interest in the AeroVee is the lack of top end power. I'm looking at price and reliability. Any suggestions ?

rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Post by rlweseman »

The Panther would fly well on a large VW. It has a better than average aspect ratio to help with climb rate on lower hp.I would suggest building small tanks less than 20 Gal and as with any airplane keep it as light as possible, and set it up with a forward baggage area to help out CG. I made a few quick drawings a few months ago while looking at Jabb mount info and the engine mount will be easy. the current cowl would need about a inch added to each side to cover the engine. I'm not opposed to it but so far very little interest in the VW on Panthers?

feel free to ask any questions Dan

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

I've flown a AeroVee powered Sonex solo and with two up. My guess is that the VW would be a suitable powerplant for the Panther. Climb and top end would suffer when compared to other choices with more hp. Down side at this point is that SPA currently has no plans to do a FWF for a VW. Maybe Sonex would.

80 hp is plenty for aerobatics. Ask a sailplane pilot!

Tony

Bill Martin
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Matin
State or Province:

Post by Bill Martin »

Would the AeroVee 80 hp engine be sufficient for the Panther. I'm not looking to do aerobatics.

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

VW

Post by Tony Spicer »

This is just a placeholder so we can keep all VW discussions in one spot.

Tony