VW

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
at7000ft
First Name: RICK
Last Name: HOLLAND
City or Town: CASTLE ROCK
State or Province: Colorado

Re: VW

Post by at7000ft »

newamiga wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to the Corvair College in Barnwell this coming weekend to check out that engine more closely too. Rick, I would really like to check out your plane when possible. I am at Meadow Lake as well.

Thanks
Carl
Have fun at the CC Carl, the local Colorado Springs Corvair Club is coming over to the hanger at Meadow Lake on Sunday November 16 at 11:00 to see my Pietenpol/Corvair and talk Corvair stuff (7878 Cessna Dr). You and anyone else interested are welcome. You can let us know what you learned at CC. These are the guys that will know also where to find some good Corvair core engines.

Rick H
at7000ft@gmail.com
Rick Holland
N6819Z

newamiga
First Name: Carl
Last Name: Houghton
City or Town: Colorado Springs

Post by newamiga »

Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to the Corvair College in Barnwell this coming weekend to check out that engine more closely too. Rick, I would really like to check out your plane when possible. I am at Meadow Lake as well.

Thanks
Carl

at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

Tony Spicer wrote:Carl,

The AeroVee turbo may turn out to be a fine engine. With zero customer engines currently flying, it's way too soon to tell. Price for the complete setup is 11K. A 3L Corvair built by William Wynne is 11.7K. What's the price on a mid time O-200 or O-235?

Tony
If you believe the people at Wentworth you can get a mid-time O-320 supposedly ready to fly for around $9-$10,000, O-200s and O-235s are more because they are harder to find (at least that is what they told me). The 320 would be around 40-50 lbs heavier than the Corvair but with an extra 40-50 HP and since Dan designed the Panther to handle 'lighter' 320s WTH? Given that I have already built and am flying a Corvair (and it is running great) and know little about Lycomings (although it would be interesting to learn more about them) I will make the engine decision as I get near the end of building my Panther fuselage.

Rick H
Rick Holland
N6819Z

at7000ft

Post by at7000ft »

My 2700 cc Corvair I am flying behind now (on my Pietenpol) cost me around $7500 with most of WWs parts and Dan's 5th bearing. Given that the turbo aerovee costs $3500 more, is more complicated, (although maybe 30 pounds lighter), you have to build it yourself also and the fact that you are on your own FWF it would be hard to justify in a Panther (IMO).
Rick Holland
N6819Z

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Carl,

The AeroVee turbo may turn out to be a fine engine. With zero customer engines currently flying, it's way too soon to tell. Price for the complete setup is 11K. A 3L Corvair built by William Wynne is 11.7K. What's the price on a mid time O-200 or O-235?

Tony

newamiga
First Name: Carl
Last Name: Houghton
City or Town: Colorado Springs

Post by newamiga »

I wonder after the release of the Turbo Aerovee (~100HP), how that tips the scales with respect to performance versus the Corvair? I watched their webinar last week and thought it sounded like a great solution for a plane at a high altitude airport like ours in Colorado Springs.

Carl

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

I have a KR2 that is about 80 pounds less than the Panther with a 2276 VW engine. When I converted it to a 2700 Corvair the cruise speed went up a little more than 5 MPH and the climb increased significantly. With the Corvair, the weight was comparable to the Panther. The max altitude I ever flew the VW was 9000 and have had the Corvair at almost 14000.

I am now building a Panther LSA and will use the same Corvair engine on it.
PantherBuilder.org

sactu1
First Name: James
Last Name: Lewis
City or Town: Cootamundra
State or Province: New South Wales

Post by sactu1 »

I've built and flown an Aerovee Sonex, which appears to be around the same weight as the Panther. My Sonex flew fine on the 80 horses of mayhem up front. However, my personal experience with building the Aerovee wasn't the best - I think my lack of expertise with engines let me down somewhat. After that experience I decided not to build another engine, but to let the smart people do that for me. Notwithstanding, a well put together Aerovee should be fine.

The Panther looks like being my next project, and I am quite excited about hanging a Corvair 3 litre up front. For a few extra bucks, the added horsepower to the Aerovee appears to be a good value proposition.

Cheers,
Jim Lewis
Cootamundra, Australia

habickford
First Name: Harold
Last Name: Bickford
State or Province:

Post by habickford »

Corvair powered aircraft have been flying since 1960. The modern iteration from William Wynne along with the Dan and Rachel parts fills the bill for price and reliability as evidenced by the track record. Importantly one learns the engine inside and out by building one up. The Panther prototype uses a Corvair. True, it is not the only engine choice yet is a viable one. One is going in our Piet project and eventually I'll want another for a Cougar when that becomes available.

Harold

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Bill,

Of all the current Panther builders, I'm the least qualified to comment on what would be a better $ choice than the VW. But I will, and that choice would be the Corvair. I assume you're aware of Dan's Corvair background? There are other current builders with considerable experience building and/or flying behind Corvairs. I feel sure they've been waiting for just this opportunity to speak up! How about it, fellas?

Tony