Corviar Parts

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Steamer
First Name: Stanley
Last Name: Johnson
City or Town: Placitas
State or Province: New Mexico

Re: Corviar Parts

Post by Steamer »

Mark,

Sounds like a question for William Wayne. If the rust is just a light surface rust you might be able to save the crank by turning it .010 or .020 under if it has not already been turned under size. About 30 years ago a couple of Beech King Airs lost their wings in flight. The lower forward wing attach bolts broke in flight causing them to crash. The problem was traced to rusty wing bolts. The reason was Inter Granular Stress Corrosion. It seems that the rust traveled along the grain of the steel weakening it from the inside. I'm no Metallurgist, but if I were you I would seek council from the experts.

Stan J.

Mark Mineart
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Mineart
City or Town: Pella
State or Province: Iowa

Corviar Parts

Post by Mark Mineart »

I threw out an add on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago and it turns out there was someone close by with a few blocks and a couple of cranks.

The suffix on the cases are RH and RD.

What I'm not sure about is the condition of the cranks. One came separate and it has quite a bit of rust on it. The other one is in the case and has 4 out of 6 pistons still attached the remaining two places where the pistons attach to the crank are rusty. I also have a couple of cams that are in a similar condition.

My question is, are rusty cranks salvageable? If so what do I need to do with them?

I'm not building anything currently, but figured I'd start researching and learning about the Corvair engine and get familiar with it. It will be my powerplant of choice once I start building.