Rivet inspection

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Jinkers
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Flugum
City or Town: Fort Collins
State or Province: CO

Re: Rivet inspection

Post by Jinkers »

Thanks for the info all!

kmac
First Name: Ken
Last Name: MacLeod
State or Province:

Post by kmac »

Also make sure that the stem has broken off in the rivet head and not pulled through.

Ken

Panther #3

psalter
First Name: Paul
Last Name: Salter
State or Province:

Post by psalter »

About the only way to inspect pulled rivets is make sure there are no cracks on the expanded bulb area. Also, make sure the bulb is squeezed against the skin tightly. And finally, like any rivet make sure there are no gaps between the material, and the head is tight against the skin.
Paul Salter
Team Panther
Engineer and Builder

wmensink
First Name: Will
Last Name: Mensink
State or Province:

Post by wmensink »

Hi Scott,

IMHO maybe the other rivets were pulled using too high PSI and the hand pulled one is appropriate. Right or wrong, I typically lowered my air pressure until the pneumatic riveter would just barely complete the process. Having the pressure too high may be aggressively pulling the mandrel further into the material before separation. Consider lowering your pressure even further below 40. They may look more like your hand pulled rivet. Adjust the PSI as needed for the various rivet types throughout your build.

Will

Jinkers
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Flugum
City or Town: Fort Collins
State or Province: CO

Rivet inspection

Post by Jinkers »

Please forgive the ignorance of this post... When using driven rivets there are quantifiable and measurable ways to check the quality. However, I'm not finding a lot of information on how to tell if a pulled rivet was properly done. I've used pull rivets before but never on anything that I was worried about 'getting it right' on. so never really cared what they looked like.

So, my question is how do you tell if you have pulled the perfect rivet?

I pulled a few on some scrap at various pressures and one by hand. This is what they look like:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x32s5jt6hnsqi ... s.jpg?dl=0

The hand pulled rivet doesn't look like it pulled far enough. I don't see much difference between the others.

Thanks for any input.