So the College Kid Wants to Build an Airplane...

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Exhaust guy
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Vetterman
City or Town: Hot Springs
State or Province: SD

Re: So the College Kid Wants to Build an Airplane...

Post by Exhaust guy »

I'm building the panther in my shop which is south of town, but I will move it to the airport HSR for final assembly next spring. Email me at vetxaust@gwtc or call me on my cell 605-890-0525. I will leave for Sebring on Monday. Larry

Cole Steffen
First Name: Cole
Last Name: Steffen
City or Town: Crofton
State or Province: NEBRASKA

Post by Cole Steffen »

Exhaust guy wrote:Cole, I live in Hot Springs and am building a panther in my shop. I'm not sure where you live but stop by anytime. I am attending the air expo in Sebring next week, so I'll be out for awhile. Welcome aboard. Larry v.
Mr. Vetterman, Nice to meet you! I was not expecting to have a colleague so close to home! Are you at the airport, or a shop of your own? I'm the short hour north in Rapid City. Always wanted to go to Sebring, always had school, so I make do with Oshkosh.

How best would you like to be contacted? When you get back, I'd like to take a look at you panther project as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Exhaust guy
First Name: Larry
Last Name: Vetterman
City or Town: Hot Springs
State or Province: SD

Post by Exhaust guy »

Cole, I live in Hot Springs and am building a panther in my shop. I'm not sure where you live but stop by anytime. I am attending the air expo in Sebring next week, so I'll be out for awhile. Welcome aboard. Larry v.

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Post by woolleys »

Good morning Cole. You have indeed set a challenging goal for yourself. There are three things a builder doesn't have enough of; time, money and space. Solve those three things and you will be well on your way to a successful build. Other things in life will inject themselves into your project that will pull on your time and most likely money and delay the process. Keep focused on the work at hand.

One of the key elements in a project of this magnitude is not to build in a vacuum. Seek out qualified people that have a background in aircraft building/maintenance. Hopefully, find an EAA Chapter in your local area that has expertise that you can source for information and help. Since you have already achieved your pilots license, frequent local airports, there you will find sources of information and guidance. Seek out every avenue for information. Let people know that you are building an airplane. Most will be amazed, some will think you're crazy, but the few that have the same passion will step up and be the ones that help.

Remember that the end goal is to achieve a aircraft that is safe and fun to fly. Flying is unforgiving of those that violate the basic rules and do not pay attention to details, never accept marginal performance in flying and building. Most likely you will be the one that lifts this creation of yours off the runway for the first time, which will be the final step in your build process.

Welcome to a special club.

Cole Steffen
First Name: Cole
Last Name: Steffen
City or Town: Crofton
State or Province: NEBRASKA

So the College Kid Wants to Build an Airplane...

Post by Cole Steffen »

Hello everyone,

My name is Cole, and I am a first time builder but long time enthusiast hailing from the black hills of South Dakota.

Yep, you read right, I'm the college guy: South Dakota School of Mines and Technology, Major: Mechanical Engineering, nice to meet'cha.

The rigors of college aren't stopping this project any more than high school could stop me from passing my checkride,
and yes, I understand building the Panther will be a much longer journey than earning my certificate. I will appreciate any advice those of you with much more experience have to offer, and thank you in advance for all answers to my newbie questions. The aviation community is one of the best on the planet, and homebuilders hold a place as some of the best in the lot.

Regards,

Cole