Back at it.

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Re: Back at it.

Post by woolleys »

Ron, go to: rivets in stock.com. They will have everything you need in the way of rivets. Except for a few rivets I got from Dan and Rachel, I got all my rivets from them.

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

Ron,

Spar prep only took me a while, because a made the mistake of taking them apart. They come to you with machine screws in place, do not remove these to separate all the parts. As far as hardware kits, if they are available from SPA, I strongly suggest that you get them from SPA. AS was very difficult to deal with in the beginning, before SPA had the kits. AS had some of my stuff back ordered for months.

I am sure Rachel will advise you regarding the timing for getting on the list for the squeezer. When you get it, you can easily finish in 2 days.
PantherBuilder.org

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Post by RonFranck »

Tonight I placed my order for the Spar Hardware Kit with ACS. Generally speaking, hour-wise, how long does it take to get the spars prepped and ready for riveting? I'd like a bit of an idea before getting in the que to have the rivet squeezer sent to me. I have my spars sitting out on the bench but I have yet to do any work on them.

Additionally, I intended to also order the wing hardware kit for protruding head rivets, but ACS indicated that they have none in stock. Is this something they put together as the orders come in?

PlaneDan
First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Heath
City or Town: Lexington
State or Province: SC USA

Post by PlaneDan »

I know just what you mean. I too was off the build since sometime back in August. Here is my post when getting back on it around Thanksgiving.

http://pantherbuilder.org/finishing-mor ... -fuselage/

Great to be back at it and really making good progress.
PantherBuilder.org

RonFranck
First Name: Ron
Last Name: Franck
City or Town: Cambridge
State or Province: IL

Back at it.

Post by RonFranck »

I've taken a too long a hiatus from building but last week-end I and six other Chapter 75 members trekked up to Oshkosh and Week's Hangar to volunteer working on the Ford Tri-Motor and their Mitchell B-25. I focused on replacing some skins on the B-25 and it got me re-energized to return to building on the Panther. The last few days found me cleaning up the shop, tossing out junk and storing valued items. Once that was accomplished it was back to work on the horizontal stabilizer, deburring and final clean-up prior to riveting. Today, I pulled the last rivet on that assembly. I'm very pleased with the results and ready to tackle the vertical stabilizer, the last assembly on the tail section. It's good to be back at it, even if it entails burning the midnight oil.