Larger ailerons?

General Panther Building Discussion
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Lowrider
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Dickey
City or Town: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID

Re: Larger ailerons?

Post by Lowrider »

Dan,

Not to jump ahead too much, but will the Cougar wing be essentially the same airfoil with some beefing?

Joe

quesauce
First Name: Roscoe
Last Name: Coltrane
City or Town: Hazzard
State or Province: Georgia

Post by quesauce »

Excellent. If you need a beta tester for aileron options, I'll gladly volunteer. I guess it depends on how long it takes for me to complete the empennage. Regarding the spades, is there much of a trade off in cruise?

danweseman
First Name: dan
Last Name: weseman
State or Province:

Post by danweseman »

Kevin
We have been waiting to test new options like larger ailerons until we had production and documentation finished.
We also have some new equipment in the works to make project like this much faster.
The first step in the aileron department are the Spades. this will allow a builder to adjust the feel as they desire.
this is more important on the Short wing with larger engines as the force builds with speed.
The next step will be 60% span aileron for the long wing. I don't think a longer aileron would be of great benefit on the short wing as it is already 60 % of span
I also want to test a new configuration that is easy to build , but offer better power and feel ,to possibly use on the Cougar wing.
The Spades along with the already adjustable elevator and rudder pedal ratios should allow any builder to have a "feel" and respone they like
Dan Weseman
Designer
Builder
Test pilot
Panther 515XP

quesauce
First Name: Roscoe
Last Name: Coltrane
City or Town: Hazzard
State or Province: Georgia

Larger ailerons?

Post by quesauce »

Hi,

Now that my tail feathers and plans are on the way, I'm combing through even more of the available Panther info. I was watching the Dan Johnson Sun n Fun 2014 interview with Dan and perked up at the mention of larger ailerons for a faster roll rate. I'm really interested in acro, and would love to know if there is any more info about possible future aileron options.

Thanks!
KF