Jab 3300

Engine Topics
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
peteranson
First Name: Peter
Last Name: Anson
City or Town: Mount Macedon
State or Province: Victoria, Australia

Re: Jab 3300

Post by peteranson »

I have been running a Jabiru 3300 in my Sonex for the past two years and 150 hours. I keep on reading about people having high temp problems, but like Tony's Jab, my engine runs almost too cool at times. My cooling system is a very ordinary plenum chamber with a couple of extra bits just to even out the temps between heads. Highest temp on climb is usually about 140C (284F) and on cruise temps are between 100C (212F) and 120C (248F). My set-up is shown at:
http://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Peter+Anson+-+Sonex+894
The engine hasn't been entirely trouble free. It is a very early model which had been stored for ten years - serial number 116. The alternator only lasted 30 hours - Jabiru did a partial warranty replacement, and I have also had to replace several tappet screws which were not properly hardened - also supplied by Jabiru under warranty. Despite these problems I am satisfied with the engine's reliability and very happy with the performance.

CAVU Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: A
State or Province:

Post by CAVU Mark »

Young australian pilots handles an engine out with excellent form... farm land sure helps.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/w ... -1.1444521

GlenNJ
First Name: Glen
Last Name: Robinson
City or Town: Marmora
State or Province: NJ

Post by GlenNJ »

Tony and Mark,

The sparring might have grown old, but thanks to both of you. I learned a lot about the Jabiru 3300, that I didn't know before.
Glen

CAVU Mark
State or Province:

Post by CAVU Mark »

Thanks for the post and link. I apologize for the "sparring" it was not my intent, lively debate revealing information was. I'll conclude my posts as well.

Mark

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Mark,

If you would like to see a photo of a properly cooled Jab, have a look here:

http://www.usjabiru.com/Ron_Barrows__S-19.html

And for the record, sparring with you is wearing thin, so no more from me.

Tony

CAVU Mark
State or Province:

Post by CAVU Mark »

So far no reply from Jabiru in Australia. I may try again, sometimes the mail does not go through.

I did contact another acquaintance in Australia who builds planes and uses Rotax exclusively for his aircraft because:
1) he likes the gear reduction for reducing prop speed
2) he likes (prefers) water cooling
He stated he is considering the Jab 6 for a light twin he is working on but would prefer the above features if possible.

Not much information here only a designers preferences. I guess it will be build it and find out. And the 6.87 gph is straight from the Jabiru AU website which I would assume to be reliable information. They do state the obvious "mileage will vary"...

Mark

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Looks like the link to VAF in the email above no longer works. Here's how to get back to it:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/search.php

In the search block at the top enter Jabiru 3300

In the list of forums on the right side, select RV-12

At the bottom select search now

6.9 gph is not what a 3300 burns. I read the post to which you refer, and it's pretty obvious that even after fiddling with the Aerocarb for 40 hours, he still didn't have it right. The Jab doesn't come with an Aerocarb, that's an aftermarket device. It took the Jab folks a long time to finally get the 40mm Bing carb dialed in. Pete says there are no longer carb issues. This from Pete: "Typical EAB Lightning at 2850 rpm will do 140 knots TAS at 5.6 gph at 8000 ft. The super clean ones are about 10 knots faster." When I started flying my Sonex/3300 in 2000, the Jab folks were pretty much clueless when it came to making the Bing perform correctly. So I removed it and installed a Ellison TB. This time around, I plan to stick with the Bing.

RV-12/3300 numbers:

2650 95-100 kts at around 3 to 3.5gph
2750 105-112kts at around 3.8 to 4.2gph
2850 115-120 kts at around 4.8 to 5.5 gph

Tony

CAVU Mark
State or Province:

Post by CAVU Mark »

Email sent to Jab in Oz. Let's see if they respond. They were willing to provide time for a factory tour on a trip a few years back but I did not make it to the area.

Glancing over the fuel burn I was a little dismayed, 6.9 GPH... which is just shy of my C170 -0-300 burn of 7-8GPH with four seats... ok I don't fly upside down in it but still.

Mark

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

While Mark is off to Australia to count engines, I thought it might be beneficial to post a quote found on VAF from a person that has an RV-12 with a Pete Krotje FWF kit:

"We have been very pleased with the performance of the Jabiru 3300. The cooling is great with very even CHT's, thanks to Pete at Jabiru USA. We have been seeing around 1000-1100 fpm climb at gross weight. The weight and balance is perfect, well within range, either at gross or empty. Sorry, we haven't posted any performance numbers before now. My son and I have been going through flight training and joy riding and haven't sat down and wrote it all up until now. We are extremely happy with the Jabiru 3300 performance,We have approx 150 hrs on the plane.
Feel free to call me at 540 478 7967 if you have any questions. Thanks! Oren."

I did a search on VAF for Jabiru 3300. Here's the link:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... d=18684179

Next time you have time to kill on the computer, have a look.

Tony

Tony Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Why would Rotec do water-cooled heads for the Jab? No clue. Why did Cool Jugs do water cooled heads for the Lycoming? No clue there either. At one time GPASC sold water-cooled VW heads. The designers must have seen a need. The consumer, not so much.

Tony