Howdy

Introduce Yourself Here - Create your own thread and upload your project photos
Forum rules
A forum for Panther aircraft builders and Enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Play nice and use a real name
Lowrider
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Dickey
City or Town: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID

Re: Howdy

Post by Lowrider »

Hi Jim!

I have the same thoughts. My "patrol" is really an LSA that I beefed up in the front end and have 6" extended gear and I'll use a 160 hp 0-320 and extended flaps and ailerons. The designer won't talk to me since I changed his design but I believe it's the best of several worlds and should serve me well.

I have a '48 170 and a 2 seat Long Wing Challenger to play with until I get the current project done. Plan then is to sell the those 2 and build a RV-3/4 or Panther/Cougar. I'd like to go with the 2 seat for the reasons you mentioned but I do most of my flying solo anyway. Build time on the Panther is leaning me that direction away from Van's options. If we can get these silly 3 rd class medicals out of the way the gross weight options will go to the 2 seat for sure. I hope the Cougar is ready when I get the "patrol" done. I built most of an RV-4 then had a very mild heart attack 3 months after a 2nd class physical so I gave up my CFI and am stuck with LSA's now or someone to fly PIC in the 170.

Good to know there is someone else out there looking at the Panther from the front seat of a Patrol.

JimParker256
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Parker
City or Town: Farmersville
State or Province: TX

Re: Howdy

Post by JimParker256 »

Joe,

I am also building a Bearhawk Patrol, and following the progress of the Panther / Cougar. I love the concept of the Panther, but just could not get my head around never being able to take my grandkid(s) flying with me, after spending all that time building.

So I made the decision to build the Patrol first, then revisit the Panther / Cougar progress down the road. The Panther might make a great 2nd airplane to go with the Patrol. Different missions / different planes.

Jim Parker
Jim Parker
Rans S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Panther / Cougar - someday?

Lowrider
First Name: Joe
Last Name: Dickey
City or Town: Sandpoint
State or Province: ID

Howdy

Post by Lowrider »

Just checkin in. I'm plans building a bearhawk Patrol/LSA and am about a year out to complete. I was thinking pretty hard on building an RV-3 or 4 when I get done with this project until I heard about the Panther from Tony. Looks like a fine bird and I'm interested in following progress on the Panther and Cougar. I grew up in FL but left when the snow birds took over. Idaho is almost as good as AK for flying without the 8 month winter. Looking forward to learning and gaining insight into the SPA birds. Thanks for having me!