First Flights of a Sports Panther

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
rlweseman
Site Admin
First Name: Rachel
Last Name: Weseman
State or Province:

Re: First Flights of a Sports Panther

Post by rlweseman »

Excellent write up, thanks Bob!

wmensink
First Name: Will
Last Name: Mensink
State or Province:

Re: First Flights of a Sports Panther

Post by wmensink »

Great initial report Bob. Enjoy phase 1!

Will Mensink

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

First Flights of a Sports Panther

Post by woolleys »

My Sport Panther is airborne with two short sorties completed. Not a lot of data since both flights were short with concentration towards engine break in. The initial flight was conducted with an RV 4 as chase and last 20 minutes over the airport. Initial issues with prop pitch adjustment (underpitched) limited data. Take off roll was bout 450 feet with a shallow climb to 3500 feet. Initial climb rates at 120 mph was about 1800 fpm. The 180 HP RV indicated that my speed was 130 mph and that he was full power trying to maintain position. Level flight cruise was restricted by RPM and I was only able to obtain 22 inches of MP before exceeding 2700 rpm. Chase plane data showed that the airspeed was 10 mph slow through out the airspeed range. Just prior to landing an approach to stall was completed and the airplane handled well down to 65 mph. A normal wheel full flap landing was completed with a final approach airspeed of 75 mph. This speed appeared to be a little fast on final.

An adjustment of 1.5 degrees was made to the whirlwind prop . An airspeed adjustment was complete on the MGL Mini Extreme EFIS and minor flap adjustments were done to adjust a slight heavy left wing. A second test flight of 20 minutes was completed. The additional pitch in the prop was not enough and I still have throttle left at 2700 rpm's but now was able to pull 25 inches of mp. This resulted in an airspeed of 188 mph at 2500 feet. A normal wheels landing was done with about 900 feet of ground roll without brakes.

The initial impressions mirror the handling qualities of Dan's prototype. Lighter elevator and slightly heavier ailerons that the RV 4. Roll rate appears about the same as the RV but with a different feed back to the pilot. The 150 Hp engine puts this version of the Panther in a new performance category which is going to be a super performer. Once I get the prop dialed and engine broken in I will be able to provide more specific data.

Gentlemen, I predict you will like the end product when you start flying.