Airworthy certificate

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
wmensink
First Name: Will
Last Name: Mensink
State or Province:

Re: Airworthy certificate

Post by wmensink »

Congratulations Bob! It's wonderful to see more data points start rolling in.

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Post by woolleys »

The airworthy certificate has been issued, the pile of parts is not an official airplane. Lots of rain and low ceilings this location; wx will decide when the first flight will be. Still looking for Wednesday of this week.

My battery is located just aft of the main spar on the right side. I'm using a 2.3 # lithium battery. Now battery location is going to be a guess, but it most likely can be mounted forward of the main spare. I have a 3 inch longer tailwheel spring and the 6 inch tailwheel. Once you put the elevator counter weights on the elevator, that 4.5 #s puts extra weight in the tail. Both Buddy Henson and Steve Pedano are putting their batteries under the boot cover behind the firewall. Buddy is using a PC 680 and Steve is using a Lithium; both have 0320's.

CG range is 67.2-74.4 The first flight will have a 180# pilot and 16 gallons of gas. That CG location will be 71.1 in the middle of the CG range.

Updates on performance as I get the data.

Tony Spicer
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Spicer
State or Province:

Post by Tony Spicer »

Congrats, Bob!

What's the delay? Figured you would be airborn before the FAA could get off airport property.

Where's the battery mounted? What's the CG with pilot and fuel?

Tony

woolleys
First Name: Bob
Last Name: Woolley
City or Town: Green Cove Springs
State or Province: Florida

Airworthy certificate

Post by woolleys »

After 3 years of building, the DAR arrives 3 Aug 15 for the airworthy inspection. By this time tomorrow I will have been issued the pink ticket and starting a new phrase of Panther operations; test flying. For general information, the empty weight of my sport panther with a Lycoming 0320 was 828 pounds with distribution as follows: L main: 398, R main 393, tail 37. CG was 68.8, range 67.2-74.4. Test flying will commence from Haller airpark on or about the 5th of Aug with short test hops to break the engine in. So standby for updates on the flying information. I do think Rachel will be update the forum with video of the flight activities. Bob Woolley