How to wear parachute during flying

Forum rules
The PantherCave is for Panther builders, potential builders and enthusiasts. Two simple rules: Be Nice and Use a Real Name.
Rpellicciotti
First Name: Rick
Last Name: Pellicciotti
State or Province:

Re: How to wear parachute during flying

Post by Rpellicciotti »

Sacpilot wrote:Anyone? Is the chute the only cushioning that you have when wearing one? You just sit on the frame?
Parachutes come in two types generally. Backpack and seatpack. I don't know which you have. I use a seatpack type in my Falco and the AT-6. In both cases, there is no seat bottom cushion. You sit on the seatpack. We never fly the AT-6 without a chute so there are no seat bottom cushions to take out. In the Falco, I have memory foam seat bottom cushions for "normal" flying and they are held in with velcro to the seat bucket. I take the seat cushion out and sit on the parachute when I am doing acro or formation flying.

I have never sat in a Panther (should have done it at Airventure but didn't get around to it). Based on looking at the cockpit and the adjustability of the seat and rudder pedals, I would think that you could arrange it to work with either a seatpack or a backpack style chute but either way, you would take out the regular seat cushion (bottom or back) when using the chute.

Blue Skies!

Rick Pellicciotti

Sacpilot
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Braun
City or Town: Rocklin
State or Province: CA

Re: How to wear parachute during flying

Post by Sacpilot »

Anyone? Is the chute the only cushioning that you have when wearing one? You just sit on the frame?
Christopher Braun
CFII - Owner Norcal Flight Center
EAA Lifetime #808722
Panther SN-052

Sacpilot
First Name: Christopher
Last Name: Braun
City or Town: Rocklin
State or Province: CA

How to wear parachute during flying

Post by Sacpilot »

Just got a nice used parachute. Way ahead of schedule. But, with all
Of the bulk, how do you wear in th cockpit? Do I not use cushioning on seat, and use the pack as the cushioning? Does
It fit back into the seat frame? I'm 6'3 240. Don't see how I would sit on the parachute and cushioning.
Christopher Braun
CFII - Owner Norcal Flight Center
EAA Lifetime #808722
Panther SN-052